DIY rock formations Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zachary669

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello

There is probably another thread out there on this but i dont know were to begin. I want to build so of the DIY rock formations but actual rock or slate is quite pricy$$$. i have heard of people doing the rocks with styrafoam and cement, I am curious if there is a way for the aquarium that does not have the cement as i have never worked with it? I am looking for a diy way to make cheap rock formations. This is my first time so please help.

thanks

thanks thats a good link. and all that is aquarium safe? and you think thats the best way to do that?

Like anything that you add to your AQ you have to monitor it. I would let it cure then I would soak it and test the water for "High PH". Ph normally is high whenever you use any cement to make anything. So use your test kit and take a reading of the water that you use to soak the project.

Are you going SW or FW? what type of fish are you going to keep?

Okay, so you would have to soak it in freshwater and let the lime leach out of the cement until the PH is stable at the level that your fish can handle. That is why I asked what kind of fish you would be keeping.

Last edited:
A natural alternative is to find a stream that is out where theres little to no traffic and collect rocks. Obviously, you want to make sure no pollution is entering the water. All 250-300lbs of rock in my 150g came from a creek. Just an alternative if you're worried about working with cement and on a budget ;)

BTW, Welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom