DIY rock towers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Based on the threads here about DIY backgrounds, I figure I will try and make a series of rock towers for my cichlids. Styrofoam, no problem. Silicone no problem. Question, I know you can use concrete and paint but is there another product, an epoxy that you can use over paint to seal the styrofoam? If so what kind of paint and epoxy should be used?

Also along the same thought, can resin ornaments you purchase in novelty stores be coated in aquarium safe expoy to be used in aquariums? I have several beautiful castles and ornaments that would look incredible in my aquarium but are obviously unsafe in their current state.

Thanks in advance!!

I have seen sealnts that are used on ceramics in order to make them safe for for underwater. The thing you want to make sure of is that you don't have fish or critters that are going to damage the item regardless of what you do. I would think cichlids would be very tough on anything that you put in the tank and could be harmed by the paint.

The best bet would be to coat them in epoxy twice for a very hard finish that should withstand most abuse. Just use a type that is used in fish applications or food uses.

Personally I will be using ceramic and pottery clay when I am ready to a real big tank and a mythical scene.

from what I understand the concrete is just cured in saltwater(to speed it up) then the water is changed to FW.. you might want to PM the DIY backgroud guys to see if it changed any of there water perams. like KH..

I prefer using natural substances over the resin based stuff. If you look in my tank clicky, you will see a small arch with stones. The stones are regular river rocks attached to a wire structure, which is attached to a slate bottom. It's small as I didn't really plan it out all that well. I used aquarium safe silicon to attach everything together and it has held up quite well.

Rocks and slate are always plentiful. You can get slate pretty cheaply at a building supply. The other structure you mentioned would look awesome!

Back
Top Bottom