DIY rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on what type of FW tank your going for the manmade rock is probably not the way to go. It will be calcium based, the high levels of CA in the tank will do a serious number on the internal organs of FW fish that are not specifically adapted to very hard water, like rift lake cichlids. If your going to do hard waterfish...look on www.garf.og, they have instructions for DIY rock.

I planned to use the rocks for tropical fishes like neons and loaches. Also plant to use the rocks for rooting java moss.

Please clarify what you mean by make. Do you mean you want to use concrete or something else to actually make them, or you want to just use rocks in your aquarium that arn't specifically sold as aquarium rocks?

I have personally used rocks from a local creek. I have chosen granite-based rocks or any other hard rocks (not calcium-based). I have used metal brush to clean them really well, washed them, boiled them, sanitized them with ammonia solution, washed them again and then put together using silicone sealant. Looks great. Now that I found out that my silicone is a mildew resistant kind, I have to re-do all of it because I am afraid of the chemical adverse effect on my fish that I do not have yet.

I think the funniest part of this thread and this hobby is people selling the info on ebay on how to make your own LR. Thats hilarious IMO because all you have to do is search the web and find all the info you need and more. JMO

Back
Top Bottom