Diy rocks/caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobhowr2005

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for tips and advise on making rocks and caves. Ive done the clay pots. Wanting to make my own and look real. Not wanting to do foam though. Heard of using quickrete. But heard it leaches lye. Thanks for the help.

You can make a cave with PVC tube (you pick the size), aquarium silicone and some extra substrate. Use gloves and cover work area. Have a good pile of substrate (works best with matching what you've already got). Smother the outer PVC with silicone and roll it in substrate. You can leave it whole or cut the bottom 1/3 off the PVC first to make a U shape... Let it cure for 48 hours then soak in bucket of dechlorinated water for 24 hours and put in your tank!

What about making diy rock caves rock in resemblance to that of like holy rock

I can't remember exactly, back when I had cichlids I seen some YouTube videos they'd cut out of styrofoam and cover with Quickrete... I can't remember exactly but I believe it was for backgrounds. But the same could easily apply to a stand alone object. :)

You can do awesome things with styrofoam! YouTube is loaded with how to vids about it. You can also do neat stuff with slate, or other rocks, driftwood and aquarium sealant/silicone! The silicone adheres very well, keeps the caves nice and sturdy! I just started making some today!

I've seen it done with concrete but it takes months for it to cure enough not to affect the ph in your tank. It works great but takes forever.

I've seen it done with concrete but it takes months for it to cure enough not to affect the ph in your tank. It works great but takes forever.

I've made quite a few rock with cement. I seal mine and they dont leach anything

I've made an outdoor pond with concrete in the past. Once dry (24-72 hours depending on mix), concrete can apparently be fast tracked by washing/scrubbing it down with hydrochloric acid. It worked well with the pond once all acid was washed away. healthy fish and still operating 20+ years later. Fumes are just a bit toxic though!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I made a cave out of natural river rocks I scrubbed and boiled and glued them together with aquarium silicone it looks great and my fish love it!

Any of these will work. You just need to pick one that you would be able to do the best. I have access to a lot of slate so that is what I use.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One of my best caves I have is a log that has been hollowed out by termites and then I've split it in half. But yeah easily one of the best and simple ideas for a cave you just got to boil the **** out of it and get a needle file and wire brush in there to her the crud out.

Back
Top Bottom