Diy salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldiesNLoaches

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay I do not run saltwater tanks but, i bought a packet of aquarium salt to treat stuff in freshwater awhile ago. An idea popped into my head could I take just some ocean water evaporate it? since i doubt this will bring much salt If I collect 4 gallons once a week and do this all summer I could have a good salt stockpile, right? Or is this salt going to have trace elements of other things that could kill my fishies. So is this a good idea i only live 6 minuites from the beach

I think the real issue is why? No need for aquarium salt for keeping FW fish.

I was just wondering just in case and you use salt in it for ich/swim bladder/other things actually although I do have copper safe and I really was just wondering cause i already do have a big pcket of aquarium salt also kosher salt is unable to be used in aquariums it has iodine, i really would just like you guys to tell weather this is a useable way to collect aquarium salt instead of buying it?

Sea salt and aquarium salt are 2 different things.

If you want cheaper AQ salt, you can buy kosher or regular rock salt (I think that's what it's called)

I was just wondering just in case and you use salt in it for ich/swim bladder/other things actually although I do have copper safe and I really was just wondering cause i already do have a big pcket of aquarium salt also kosher salt is unable to be used in aquariums it has iodine, i really would just like you guys to tell weather this is a useable way to collect aquarium salt instead of buying it?

Kosher salt is usually not iodized. Most "table salt" is. Sea salt has lots of minerals that are somewhat undesirable in freshwater, and any pollutants from the water you collect would be present in the salt that remains after evaporation. It isn't a great idea, even if it was for use in a marine tank.

Back
Top Bottom