Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Dear Nelson,
I think, There are no one keeping marine aquarium, that's why nobody importing salt mix or accessories for marine tank. About mine, i imported from China myself.
For the chemical, it's very easy, i don't know why it so easy. SrCl2 is the most expensive. It cost 8US$ or 25 gm. The rest are very cheap. Even i use the pure imported NaCl2 from Thailand( 10 Us for 25KG).
So when i calculated for 1 KG of salt mix, it cost 1.8 US. Even that is quite expensive for our standard.
Normal workers salary is only 40US/month.
Today, water is crystal clear Ph 8.3, salinity 1.023, Ca 320 ppm.
Kyaw

Old 12-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyawgyi1968 View Post
I'll test and post it.
Please do !!

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #13

Hello again!!
yesterday night, i put a marron clown in to that 30 Gallon tank. He is still ok till this morning. I fed him mix fresh food this morning. He looks healthy and ok. I'll let him stay there. I think fish will b ok with that DIY water. I am not sure about the corals cause they are very sensative. When i get the new corals i'll test.
On comming saturday, i am going to a trip to collect natural sea salt, fish and some corals.
I am going to this location 16'57"40N 94'36"22E. itis 114 miles straight line from My city (Yangon).
I'll take some pictures and post it here after i come back.
Kyaw
Old 12-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyawgyi1968 View Post
...I am going to this location 16'57"40N 94'36"22E. itis 114 miles straight line from My city (Yangon).
I'll take some pictures and post it here after i come back.
Kyaw
I can only assume you really mean 1657'40"N 9436'22"E
(16 degrees 57 minutes 40 seconds North...)

Even still, are you sure that's where you are going... that's a spot 11 miles from the coast somewhere between Kangy and Zibyugwin.

Now 117 miles due west of Yangon on the coast is at 1646'40"N 9423'34"E. It's an interesting looking piece of coast line (at least as Google Earth shows it), but again, you'll notice it's near a major river emptying into the sea. I'd suggest going a little farther north, or just a little bit south (just past that peninsula) to get water with salinity close to open ocean water. However, the way it looks like the wave push into the little cove at those coordinates, I'm thinking that cove might be a good place to find sea life.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post

Now 117 miles due west of Yangon on the coast is at 1646'40"N 9423'34"E. It's an interesting looking piece of coast line (at least as Google Earth shows it), but again, you'll notice it's near a major river emptying into the sea. I'd suggest going a little farther north, or just a little bit south (just past that peninsula) to get water with salinity close to open ocean water. However, the way it looks like the wave push into the little cove at those coordinates, I'm thinking that cove might be a good place to find sea life.
Ok, I just trying to let u know the location from google earth. The river which close to that location is salt water this time. Because rainy season already finished last september. I have already got Fish and corals from that beach. We have to go out to sea by boat to get a reef. And diver go under water with the air pipe(they don't use oxygen tanks) using air compressor. They can stay 3-4 hours under water.
And i am going to get the natural dry sea salt around there. U can check on google earth, Chaung Thar Beach and Hotel Max. There is no internet at that area, so i'll post pics after i come back.
whish me luch:p
kyaw
Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #16

I came back fromtrip yesterday. I couldn't get anything because wind speed is very high so boats couldn't go out to sea. They said , even wind is start to slow, seawater is still dark. It will take 3 days to clear water. So i came back.
About the DIY sea salt, clown fish is still ok. So i am going to change water with DIY water to my 120gallon tank on next water change scedule.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now this is dedication!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Kyaw,

I am inspired by your finding a way to make things happen! I am in the Philippines, same South East Asia region. We too have lots of coastline, and I am planning on seeing some beach areas. But we luckily have some fish stores and so I will get there.

I wish you good luck in your search and experiments!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

If you have access to a boat to get to a reef, can you collect water from the reef? If you go farther out to sea the fresh water runoff will not affect the ocean water as much either.
Another thought is to collect sea water and let it evaporate till you get the correct SG reading. If you have a place to store the water between trips you could doing that.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #20

Thank for the replies,
Last 3 days ago, i changed water to my tank fish only tank with the DIY sea water. But it is only routine and only 30%. So i change again next month 30%. Clown fish id still ok in the 100% DIY sea water. I have 2 tanks and i am afraid to test with the corals. Coral tanks started to give problems. nearly all die slowly and i can't get new ones.
It started to happen after monthly water change. What i did was, the tank salinity was only 1.018. Before i change water i run the natural sea water in the glass bared button tank. And i top up the evaporated water with the sea water. So the salinity is higher. The reason why i did was , i want to raise the salinity of the tank. Everywhere i read about the coral tank salinity is between 1.020 to 1.023. I changed the water 30 % with that higher salinity water. At that time main tank water salinity is going up to 1.022.
After WC for 3 days problem started. At that morning there was a power failure and my auto 12V dc to 220 AC inverter couldn't work automatically. When i found out , it was like 3 hours. And i run the pumps again. So i thought coral death was because of power failure???
Slowly corals are still dying. At that time i thought about something, The area which i collected corals has some fresh water rivers ( from HooKooDooKu). So i asked one of my friend to bring me the water sample from the place which i collected corals, bottom of the sea. The day before yesterday i got the sample and when i checked the salinity, it is only 1.018. Start from the beginning, when i collect the sea water, it was 1.018. I always try to raise to 1.022. Fishes are ok.
Now nearly all corals are die. So i don't know the cause of death. I just try to share waht i had experiance with the salinity.

Tags
diy, salt, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com