DIY sea salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kyaw,

Doesn't it stand to reason that if your coral and fish are thriving in your coastal areas with salinity lower than the salinity North America is used to, then you should not be trying to raise the salinity of your sea water?

It makes sense to keep the salinity the same in your tanks as in the sea where you got them. No offense to all out there, but this seems to be the case. Looks like your fish and coral were doing well before you tried to raise the salinity to textbook level.

Just my 2 cents.

Man, I gotta say this is one more fascinating thread! Hang in there, Kyaw!

ok,pictures are first time collected from sea. Just view for your information.
Some were already dead.
Regards,

Attachments

• PICT0687small.jpg
    PICT0687small.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 103
  • PICT0686small.jpg
    PICT0686small.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 108
  • PICT0515small.jpg
    PICT0515small.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 98
  • PICT0518small.jpg
    PICT0518small.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 110
HAHA just order it online. Even if you have to drive somewhere to pick it up. Thats your best bet. Making it is not an option

HAHA just order it online. Even if you have to drive somewhere to pick it up. Thats your best bet. Making it is not an option
Dear Ghostknife,
U born and live at good place. There are alot of places on earth which has nothing.
I live out of no where, no good electricy, very slow internet speed and ban alot of sites and can't order online. Who is going to diliver???? No credit cards, if u come here with the credit card, u can't buy anything or eat. Biggest airport in our country look like World war II air field ??? Just 4 flights for international. THAT"S IT!!!!!
That's why i am trying to do my hobby in difficult ways. If i can order online or can buy everything, no reason to do it very difficulty.:cry:
Regards,
Kyaw

I have to agree with Kyaw on that one.

I wish I lived in a place where I could catch fish like that myself! I catch some pretty ones for my tanks, but nothing like those.

by far the best thread i have read here in weeks.

KYAW, i am a "sweet"water person (freshwater)
YET i have a piece of information i can give you, info that took me a while to be certain of.

living creatures ADAPT.
i have African fish that are supposed to live in PH 5.5-6.5 ... my PH is 7.5
they THRIVE

guess why? ... they adapted ;P
my best bet is that you SHOULD NOT increase your salinity.
just leave it as it is, less hassle for you, and it seems it does harm your fish/coral anyway

trust me ! your coral will also adapt.

i know it's painful losing them, but hang in there.

I am sorry I was un-aware of the remoteness of your location. I figure anywhere with internet it couldnt be that bad. I guess I was wrong. Well what is the salinity measurement from where you got the fish you caught. If that is what they are used to then yes most specimens will adapt. Now if you were to take a fish from a pet store that was used to 1.023 it would probably die because this drop in salinity would not be what the fish was used to and it would not have the time to acclimate.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks for all comments,
Thanks for understanding my situtation;). Now i leave the salinity at 1.018. The left over some brain corals survive. Cup corals nearly all die. I can't go and bring new ones. Last time when i went there, i was upset of the roads. I can drive only 10miles/hr.

For the DIY sea salt, everything fine with that formula. Fish are still healthy with that water. My water change scedule is once a month 30%.
I have ,
2 clown fish
2 marron clown
6" 4 nos of bannerfish
1 three stripes damsel
3 two white spot damsel
2 yellow damsel
2 false cleaner
3 blue, yellow tail damsels
1 hippo tang
Those are in my fish only 120gallon tank.
I will test the DIY sea water with corals , next time when i get new corals from sea.
I'll keep update.
Brdgs,
Kyaw

You are a trouper. My hat's off to you and hope that DIY seawater works well for you. You might even make some side money by selling to others that might want to do reef tanks in your area.
Good luck,
T.

Thanks T,
I can not sell DIY salt:(. No one will try to keep marine fish here because of electricity. 12 hr on and 12 hrs off. need alot of investment and ideas to DIY. I use 12Vdc to 220Vac automatic inverter(like UPS for computers) for the pumps. That inverter can hold up to 1000 watts with the 200Amp Car battery.
Even very few people keep fresh water aquarium. I have 14 of 30 gallon tanks for my discus .
kyaw

You are amazing. If I may ask? How old are you? I just flip a switch and take that without any concern. I will appreciate electricity more now. ;D

You are amazing. If I may ask? How old are you? I just flip a switch and take that without any concern. I will appreciate electricity more now. ;D
Thanks,
I am 41. I run a workshop , aircond and fridges repairing and maintenance. That's why electrical knowledge other technical things are used to with me.
kyaw

Unbelievable enterprise! Well done. Your idea is very clever. I come from an island(Sifnos) and I will try to do something like that. Please keep us informed.

Thanks fo commants,
My fish only tank is now running on 100% with DIY water. Fish look healthy, eating well, water is crystal clear. Ph 8.42, salinity 1.018. Ca 320 ppm,
I put 2 snails and 4 hermit crabs into that tank. I moved them from the coral tank.Let's see what will happen to them???
For the coral tank , i am afraid to test because i can't get the new corals if something goes wrong. I have already explain how to get the corals for me. I can't get it in another 6 months. Hot season is comming, so i will be very busy with my work.
Brdgs,
Kyaw

Well,,,,
I was so busy with my work and i can't read or post new.All fish are ok with the DIY salt .
Last 2 weeks ago i got a anemone(big one), it's about 1.5 feet in diameter. And another is small one, i don't know how to call it. I put them to the DIY salt tank.
Big one start to get problem within 3 days. Some part of his body is no good anymore. So i took out (it started to die , i think). Small one is still ok till today.
Last week i got some small ones and 2 brain corals. i put them in the DIY salt tank. They are also ok till today.
Picture is the one which already died and the small one.
I'll update the new ones.

Attachments

• PICT0962n.jpg
    PICT0962n.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 100
  • PICT0963n.jpg
    PICT0963n.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 100
Hi kyawgyi1968, I reread your post and I don't see any mention of what kind or lights you run on your tanks, fowlr and you coral tanks. This may be the reason your anemone did not make it.

Sorry that i didn't mensioned about the lights,
I use the orgeional lamps which comes with the tanks. 2 Nos of 100 W matel halide and 3 nos of 15W blue flurocent lamps. Both tank are same filters, lamps and everything made in china. Brand is JEBO.
Anyway, i put those anemone in my fish only tank because Fish only tank is 100% run on DIY sea water.
I post some of the pictures of my tanks.

Attachments

• PICT0425.JPG1.jpg
    PICT0425.JPG1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 111
  • PICT0414s.jpg
    PICT0414s.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom