Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well Greenmaji is Correct. I have moved the skimmer to my new 125 gallon tank.

After tons of frustration with a ball valve I have a gate valve on the skimmer. I LOVE this gate valve. Small adjustments are so easy. I've gotten 1/3 of a cup of skimmate in the last 24 hours. I don't have a valve on the input anymore so I can't throttle the pump... just adjust air intake from the venturi.

I'm using a rio hf12 pump for the skimmer and it seems to be doing great. I've also made an acrylic box in the aquarium that will not change the water level no matter how low the tank water gets. I'm using a via 305 pump to push water up into a lees specimen box drilled out on the bottom using a bulkhead fitting with elbow and notched out 1" down on the front for water to fall back into the aquarium.

The funny thing is that I did this with a mag 7 first with no elbow. Water shot up 2 foot above my aquarium without the elbow.. and with it water overflowed into the floor. So I hooked up the via 305 and it seems to max out the flow in overflow box. I understand this idea is a bit backwards but my skimmer will NEVER go crazy again. water level is constant. The output and input are both in the box and submerged the same level.

Now I need to buy some vacuum hose to put to my input on my via305 going to the box and put a few floats on the other end to skim from the top of the aquarium.... consistant water level without a sump.

noteworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:51 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
*cough* gate valve recomendation on page one *cough*

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak
oh leave me alone :P

noteworthy is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, pictures, skimmer, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com