Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
That would mean your frame is loose or bowed (loose joint, crooked wood?) & the tank is structurally straightening it.

5-7 coats of polyurathane will do the trick as well. <That is what I have on my stand.>

Yes, it is a joy to do wood working with good tool .... but you can do good work with basic hand tools. <Takes a lot more time & skill.> you can do a lot with just a router. The trick is to build jigs to guide the router in all the cuts, and take shallow cuts with good quality bits. The most important wood working "tool" is actually a good sturdy table or other surface to work on, and lots of clamps to hold down your work & jigs.
I ended up rebuilding the frame. I also didn't like it at all. It's now all square and good, and the tank fits in just right, not too tight, not too loose. I don't know why, but I have a weird "cheap" mentality when I'm working with cheap materials. For example, the wood to build the frame was $1.37. The acrylic for the tank was $30. So I spent about a day and a half on the acrylic, and half a day on the frame. So, I slowed down and built the frame right this time.

I'm also going to use polyurethane on the frame. I knew, in my mind, that I had to seal it, I was just hoping someone would tell me otherwise... .

And I thought I had a router at home (I'm in college) but apparently my dad broke it. I wasn't too happy... I do have nice bits, and was planning on using them, but of course I couldn't. Also, apparently we don't have one level surface in my house (besides the kitchen counter.) Also makes me angry...

Whenever I eventually build my house, I'm going to have a nice workshop for woodworking, metalworking, and just about any other working you can think of. Maybe I'll make a garage with a basement... garage for workin on the cars, basement for fabricating everything else. Wow I'm off topic.

Anyway, thanks for the support.

Here's a pic of the mini "sump" that fits in the back. (most of everything here is mocked in, so the fit is a little off)

EDIT: Forgot the pic.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is some nice ingenuity there. Looking nice so far!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey guys, just thought I'd give you an update. I'm done building for now, and I'm sealing and painting the wood. I should have pics up.... probably tomorrow if everything goes well.

I really like this smiley ->
Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

cant wait! looks like its going to be a very nice tank from what i've seen so far

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Eh... scratch the pics tomorrow. The polyurethane I'm using has a 4 hour turnover time. Annoying, but I generally follow directions on the cans for recoating times. So, even with the best of times, it'll probably take me to the day after tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Very nice job!! Don't forget to post a finished pic!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

how exactly is the sump going to work? like how are you dividing it?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo View Post
how exactly is the sump going to work? like how are you dividing it?
I'm using the "sump" simply as a counterweight, and volume extension. It simply holds water because as we know, more water in a tank is always better. And it hides the pump and heater. It's not going to act as a refuge or mechanical or chemical filter at all.

EDIT: The "pump" I'm using is the sponge filter that came with the betta tank I had bought. I simply attach some tubing to the output, and I have myself a pump. I've successfully used this to pump water through my DIY water distiller, so I know this will work.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
I'm using the "sump" simply as a counterweight, and volume extension. It simply holds water because as we know, more water in a tank is always better. And it hides the pump and heater. It's not going to act as a refuge or mechanical or chemical filter at all.

EDIT: The "pump" I'm using is the sponge filter that came with the betta tank I had bought. I simply attach some tubing to the output, and I have myself a pump. I've successfully used this to pump water through my DIY water distiller, so I know this will work.
alright i get it now, its a good idea. just make sure to some how have a divider so your fish dont go into it lol
Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo View Post
alright i get it now, its a good idea. just make sure to some how have a divider so your fish dont go into it lol
Ah I gotcha! Yeah I'm probably going to use a custom made overflow, or I'll simply drill the tank. Then put some mesh or somethin in front of the hole or in the intake of the overflow.

Tags
acrylic, diy, fluval, fluval edge, stand, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com