Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Re: Hinges:

You can try these:
SOSS® Concealed Barrel Hinges - Lee Valley Tools
The barrel hinges can be fitted to something as thin as 1/2" (needs very careful drilling at that thickness, a cinch at 3/4"), and requires almost no clearance

You can also get "box hinges" at specialty hardware store, they go down to 1/2"x1". There are also tiny piano hinges for toy & model making.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
Re: Hinges:

You can try these:
SOSS® Concealed Barrel Hinges - Lee Valley Tools
The barrel hinges can be fitted to something as thin as 1/2" (needs very careful drilling at that thickness, a cinch at 3/4"), and requires almost no clearance

You can also get "box hinges" at specialty hardware store, they go down to 1/2"x1". There are also tiny piano hinges for toy & model making.
Awesome, I'll look out for these!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the driftwood in place now, but it's pretty much impossible to get a glare free pic during the day I'll post one tonight. It looks really good!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Havent had time to read the whole thread but i was curious if you could draw up your design for the sump? Nice job by the way.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

All alright corrando, I expect it tonight and no later!! jk i am just excited to see it.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieFish View Post
All alright corrando, I expect it tonight and no later!! jk i am just excited to see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
Havent had time to read the whole thread but i was curious if you could draw up your design for the sump? Nice job by the way.
Ask and you shall receive.

Sump Design:

If you want the actual measurements just ask. I'll draw somethin up in CAD if you want. I actually already have the model, because I wanted to see the best pump position inside the sump for optimal circulation.

EDIT: The pics of me building the sump are on page 1.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome!! I so want to make one, how much did it cost total?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieFish View Post
Awesome!! I so want to make one, how much did it cost total?
Total... It probably cost me $70 bucks or so. But then again I did have a few of the parts. If I were to add everything up... it'd be..

2x2 foot (really strong) acrylic $35
1x2x8 frame wood $1.5 x 2 = $3.00
birch wood for outside... uh... $6.00
cheap acrylic for sump $5
Weld On #4 (I spent) $15 (but you can get it for like $7) (I have enough to last me a lifetime)
Applicator for weld on $5
Acrylic scorer (to cut it) $1.50
100% silicon $5? maybe, I don't remember

So that's about $75, but here are some of the things I already had.

Tubing, different sizes.
Hinges (yeah I'm gunna replace the ones that are one there)
Pump
Wood glue
Nails or screws
Sandpaper etc.

Honestly, I probably could have bought one cheaper. But I like building things, and it turned out very well, so I'm happy. Also, I bought the acrylic from lowes, they had three types. Strong, stronger, and strongest. I bought the strongest for the actual tank. I think you would have been fine with the medium stuff. That saves you a good 15 bucks right there. Plus you get more with the medium stuff (I think another square foot or so), so you might not need the extra stuff for the sump, so that's another 5 bucks off. If I were to build it again I could do it very cheaply, simply because I have all of the tools to build it. I'd just need to buy the materials.

One hint though, sand the edges of the acrylic... sand sand sand. The flatter the edges of the acrylic, the better it bonds, and the less likely it'll leak. I was lazy on my sump, and I paid the price. It was annoying.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am more curious how you made the overflow and what size pump you used. Because i would imagine it hard to find a small pump.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
I am more curious how you made the overflow and what size pump you used. Because i would imagine it hard to find a small pump.
The "overflow" I used was simply drilling holes at the very top of the back wall of the tank and shoving tubes in them. The water then drained out and when the water level went below the tubes, it stopped draining.

The "pump" I used was the sponge filter from the small 1.5 gallon aquarium I bought from petsmart. It came with a pump, a plant, some rocks, and the actual aquarium. I simply attached tubing to the filter output and I have myself a water pump. Even with the 8 inches or so of overhead, the pump works very well and I actually had to turn it down to prevent it from draining my sump.

Keep in mind, the "overflow" I used is not very efficient. It was just the easiest and cheapest way for me to do it.

Tags
acrylic, diy, fluval, fluval edge, stand, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com