DIY sponge filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodoba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I need some help. I'm going to be making my own sponge filters for my 90gal set up. Because of the messy fish I'll be putting in there, I'll need a GPH of 900.
Because of this I'm using a powerhead. So of course I have a few questions.
With sponge filters you can't have the current too strong or it won't filter properly. For this I'm hoping to use LONG tubes and maybe make 2 filters out of 500 GPH powerheads.
Now this is still a lot of power. The sponge I'm using is a 10 PPI due to the amount of waste produced so I can prevent clogging.
1) How big of a sponge do I need?
2) Is there any GPH loss from the powerhead when fitted with the sponge filter?
3) Aside from longer tubes, how else can I compensate so that the power from the powerhead doesn't prevent proper filtration?
Thanks for any help!
Una

if my thinking is correct, powerheads dont filter anything it just moves water.. also it will filter properly because its still moving through the sponge.. do you have a sketch or anything to let us know how your doing this?

More so, what type of power head are you going to use?

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was having health issues. I will be having goldfish. I figured out basically everything for the sponge filter and the only issue I'm currently having is that the powerheads (still haven't picked one out) have their GPH marked at 0 ft and I'm not too sure what size of pvc to get without slowing down the flow.

I could technically use only one powerhead seeing as I found a few that are reasonably priced but the amount of sponge I would need for it is a large amount. Woud have to compensate by adding more than one pvc pipe which turns into huge GPH loss.

So I'm still going with 2 different pumps of 500 GPH (still don't know which brand) and I'll need approx. 4X4X4 sponge to accomodate it so I'm going to use a 10 PPI for wastes and a 30 PPI for great BB amount.

Don't ask me how but somehow I found out the amont of sponge I would need per gallon.

Getting the sponge from swisstropicals.com any help on the pipe size info would be great. The only resource I could find was pipe sizes used in DIY refugium that said a 1" PVC will have a flow rate of 600 GPH so I'm guessing that's what I would be using.

Una

The most effective method would be to use the Hamburg filter as shown at Swiss Tropicals. A friend who converted all of his 40 tanks to this method, likes the 20 PPI reticulated sponge. He has gone a year without any maintenance on the filter media.

Back
Top Bottom