DIY spotlight - heat-resistant plastic sheet? *update*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am building a light fixture based on a wall-mounted spotlight. The "bell" that surrounds the bulb is not long enough to enclose the screw-in PC bulb I am using for my nano planted tank. Here is what I mean:

normal_Bulb%20fixture%20problem.jpg

I want to replace the glass bell that came with the fixture, and I have seen people using a heat-resistant flexible plastic sheeting material to make wall sconces on DIY TV shows. Anyone know what this is called or where I can get it? I have looked for other fixtures but can't find any that will conceal this bulb, and I hate to spend a bunch of money on a lamp.

TIA

TankGirl, the Lowes near me has a bunch of replacement globes in the lighting department. You might have some luck finding a replacement at your local home improvement store. Another thing that you could try is cutting a reflector out of aluminium sheeting and attaching it with a pipe clamp. Use tin snips to cut the aluminum and rivet it together. The reflector would be sort of like the Cones that you would use on a dog after a surgery.
HTH

That is exactly what I was thinking to do with the plastic sheet - make it into a cone, but I did not think about using metal. I'll see if I can come up with something halfway esthetic using aluminum. I could also line it with mylar to improve the reflecting capabilities.

I looked at replacement globes, but on this fixture the globe is sortof crimped in on two sides, and I am not sure it can be replaced.

Thanks!

TankGirl said:
I looked at replacement globes, but on this fixture the globe is sortof crimped in on two sides, and I am not sure it can be replaced.

so long as the globes larger lip just fits into your fixture.... you could drill 3 holes and tap some screws into the lip to accept the globe most likely..
cheap way to tap the holes, selftaping sheet metal screws :D
you could paint the heads of the screws if you like white..
just some thoughts.. HTH

btw.. neat project (y)

Or were you saying there are two crimps and a screw for adjusting the current globe?..
I would think you had a couple of options still. like the crimps look stamped in.. like they could be flattened with a pair of pliers.. or one of them could be flattend.. allowing you to place a globe in over the other one and slip in where the flattened one is..
HTH

Thanks, GM. The fixture just has two crimps holding the globe in place, no screws. If replacement globes would fit that is what I'd prefer, but if I could find some plastic sheeting I could make into a cone that would work also.

I like the idea of self-tapping machine screws, and if I break the current globe getting it out I guess it doesn't matter. I'd like to preserve the fixture itself, though, since so far I have spent money only on some A. nana "petite." Everything else I already had.

My husband put aluminum foil around the whole globe and that "works" to aim the light into the bowl and keep you from being blinded looking at the bulb, but it somehow lacks the esthetic mood I'm going for... :roll: He does not understand why I am so eager to fix this, but once I get an idea in my head there is no stopping until I have the problem solved.

I plan on putting a "tequila sunrise" guppy in there, since the bathroom has a yellow theme and it will contrast nicely with what I hope to be a green bowl. :lol: I am keeping a photo diary of the process, and this is in the gallery in my sig.

Thanks for your suggestions, OBX and GM - this is what I did:

I removed the too-short globe (it unscrewed from the base, with the crimps sliding into grooves in the glass rim) and drilled three holes in the base, and used three machine screws with nuts, since the metal rim is too thin to be threaded.

normal_Machine%20screw_nut%20mod.jpg

I went to Lowe's and got a replacement globe and placed it in with the machine screws tightened against the nuts.

normal_Fixture%20modified.jpg

I do have quite a bit of scattered light now, but I do not want to grow algae here, just keep the plants alive so I am going to wait and see if I get some growth.

Thanks for your help! (y)

Exellent! :D
Im glad it worked out for you.. no problem with the suggestion part.. :D
Its looking nice, I hope you get some growth out of it..

Back
Top Bottom