DIY stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, im going to build a stand for my 10gall, because as of the last 3 or so years it has been on top my dresser and I HATE it their, so.... I have the wood, it is thick wood, and so I was just wondering if their any specific way I need to build it or..? Im going to make it for the size of a 20 long hoping I can convince my mom to let me upgrade while im at it :) (it would just mean more light..thats all LOL) so ya, any advice would be nice :D

Well I'm not a carpenter but I have built a couple of stands before. Currently my largest stand holds a 125 gallon tank. I think a main concern is the base, if you use 2x4's lay them down flat and then assemble them in the shape you want, followed by the risers or legs. No matter what size stand I'm building I always put at least one center bracing across the middle a) for support b) for door hardware to mount to.

Here is a very rough sketch how I build mine. I typically just use regular 2x4's for frame and center supports and 4x4's for corners but that's overkill imo for your size aquariums. Then I wrap the outside with plywood and cover with veneer or panel as necessary followed by any decorative trim you might want. I also like a very thick piece of plywood for the top and cover it with a hard foam rubber so the tank will sit nice and level.

Attachments

• simple_framework_183.jpg
    simple_framework_183.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 451
Back
Top Bottom