DIY Stand and Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is some pictures of the DIY stand and canopy i worked on yesterday. Almost done just need to put the doors on and paint. Its been 2 years since i have had a tank up and now im getting my 125gal reef up and ready!

Attachments

• Stand and Canopy 001 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Stand and Canopy 001 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Stand and Canopy 003.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Stand and Canopy 007.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 007.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Stand and Canopy 004.jpg
    Stand and Canopy 004.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 123
Looks dynamite... It's obvious you know what you are doing with a saw... can't wait to see the whole shebang!

Is that white stuff bead board? What color are you going to paint the entire thing? Bead board doors too?

Ya that is bead board or wainscot. I was thinking of painting the entire thing white. My wife wants more of a country looking stand and canopy. The doors i made are square edges and beadboard on the inside. what do you think?

It will look "countryfied" just by being wainscotting! That is always a classic country look..

I used to do faux finishing, and if it were my project, I would paint it off-white, like Navajo White or Bone White, even a very light cream and then mix up a very weak brown or earthy gray tinted faux-finish glaze and hit it with however many coats of that it takes to look the way you want... It will look super, like its an antique. Experiment on some scrap wood first.

And are you planning on caulking in the wainscotting around the trim? It helps to fill in that unsightly "void" where the beading goes under the flat boards.

Yes im planning on using a white caulk around the bead most of the cuts are right on and dont really need caulking but i will be putting it on. I will be painting it with Behr Semi Gloss white the whole stand and canopy. The "trim" part is premium popular so i thought about staining it a dark color and leave the wainscot white..?? Although the dark wood wouldnt match anything in the house so i thought just white on all of it

I thought the wainscotting was behind the wood trim, I didn't see that you inlaid the panels. Tight work!

I actually do like how it looks now, with the white panels surrounded by the wood, something which I normally don't like... in this case it doesn't look too bad! Honestly I think all one color would be the best... But if you ask 50 people, 25 will say they like one way and 25 will like the other! Either way you did a great job and it looks like something you should be proud of, so don't sweat it too much.

The thing about the dark wood against the white is what bothers me... If you aren't going to paint it all one color, I would leave the wood clear or blond like it is now. It would be too much of a contrast against the white of the bead board. Instead of a stain, you could do it a dark painted trim with a slightly lighter shade of the color you painted with for the inlaid panels... This would keep it all in the same family of color, but still give you a contrast.

Back
Top Bottom