DIY Stand And Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentallylost

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just figured that I would show off this stand and canopy a little. It's a DIY that I finished a couple of months ago. It's all pine that I happened to have laying around the garage. So I am not really all that much money into it. About $20.00 for the hinges and polyurethane finish, and another $20.00 for the DIY LED moonlights. $40.00 or so total. The only thing that i did that I would have done differently is the shelf. I put a full length shelf midway in the stand. So now I am going to need to cut half of the shelf out so I can put a sump in. Oh well. I learned for next time.

Attachments

• diystandandcanopy.jpg
    diystandandcanopy.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 311
That's a nice looking stand combo!!! :D Good job!!

For all you people out there... post pics of the inside too... that's half the fun of seeing how you made it, and what you're putting for supplies! :wink:

bzbee said:
Very nice! Looks better than some of the store bought stuff I've seen.

So true! What size is the tank? How did you lay out the lights in the hood? I need to do a hood/stand combo for the 75 gal, but have not yet/ Did you use the GARF plans or did you use your own? Sorry about the questions, but I am curious. :)

how you do that stuff in the backround?
It's a little dark on my screen, but I'm guessing a light blue foil background. I've seen it for $0.99 per ft.

It's my own custom design, sort of. I saw a stand and canopy that was similar on another forum and just loved it. I had no plans, just the one picture of the other tank. I changed a few things around and this is what I ended up with. I am happy with it though. It is an 80 gallon tank that up until this stand rested on a sturdy but ugly table. I do have a bubble wall stretching the entire length and wrapping around the sides of the tank. They are real fine bubbles. And it is a foil background. The foil was originally green foil from thatfishplace.com and yes it is $0.99 per foot. But the green was just too bright. So I spray painted over it with a black semi-gloss paint. The only coat of paint that was applied was thin, so that when you look from different angles you can still see the green.

EDIT- For the moonlights, I made a boxed in rail for the LED's to be housed in. The box is the length of the inside top of the canopy. This rail is then stapled in the top, so when the canopy is opened the lights lift too.

Back
Top Bottom