Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
DIY Stand Building Help

Sup guys. At work atm, so am going to do some more research when i get home, but was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction of a way to make a stand for a 75g. I have never done any woodwork before, but im sure it couldnt be too hard. Looking for an easy guide or something online that will spell it all out for me. Thanks!

CEverii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
There are several guides online that you can search for but I didn't like them myself when building my own stand. I recommend you searching for and looking how other people have built their own. I finished one just 2 days ago myself.

Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't have any links for you, sorry. But I did build by own 75g stand. I accomplished it in two days, but I have some wood work experience and had my father-in-law's help and his table saw. The cost ended up being over $160 in all materials. I used a 2"x4" frame and oak paneling with trim, and pre-made oak raised panel doors. It looks great, is rock solid, square, level, and its on coasters. It isn't too difficult to build, but if your looking to save money, and without experience or help, you may just want to buy one in the store. I ended up needing two doors, four hinges, two handles, stain, four coster, bolts, washer, wood screws, wire nails, 7 2"x4", 1 4'x8' 1/4" oak plywood, 2 8' oak top trim, 2 8' oak bottom trim, 1 1"1/8" x 1"1/8" corner trim, no glue. I will try to get some pictures up next week if you need some ideas. Roughly, I built two square frames supported by 7 legs on the inside, 4 weight bearing, 2 for door frame and 1 for stability, used 2"x4" to bring the legs flush to the square frames. Then finished it with the plywood and trim.
tw0lves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

This would be the best link:

I use that as a guide to the structural design. I modified it for my stand for looks.

The basic principle for a sturdy stand is that you should have a rigid beam system to support the tank all around the perimeter. That means 2x6's on edge all around. Next you need to distribute the weight of the tank from the beam down to the floor evenly. That usually means 6 legs. <Although most plans calls for 2x4's in an L-shape, 4x4's are more rigid.>

Depending on your wood-working experience & tools as to how easy this will be. A good stand should be made to tolerances of 1/16" or better, and you normally have to dress the lumber from the store to achieve this. With a big tank, I wouldn't risk an uneven top support, out of plumb, legs, etc. with just screwing a bunch of 2x4's together.

FYI - I built mine out of hardwood. Beams are laminated double 2x4's, legs are 2 2x4's laminated to 2 1x5 (4 layered construction ... yes, I believe in overkill!), bottom apron are laminated double 1x4's. All are half-lap/bridle joints glued & screwed. Panel are raised solid wood frame & stiles. I also have a jointer/planer to do the lamination, a table saw, router, power sander ...... This is overkill for sure, and you can get by with much simpler construction, but a stand for a big tank may not be a good first project!
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

all depends on how good u want the stand to turn out to look.

i just bough a lot 2 by 4 by 8ft of lumber to build a double 55 gallon.
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
This is the stand that I built for my 75 gallon aquarium.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	23889  
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Sliced Bread

I followed this:
DIY Stands Template and Calculator - Reef Central Online Community

And made this:
In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
WOW! Big Dog and neilanh, those stands are very impressive! they look gorgeous, i definitely think a nice stand improves the overall look of the aquarium. would love to see them up and running, they're probably stunning. nice work! thanks for this thread CEverii, i think i will look into building a 10 gallon stand just for fun. thanks for the links, all!
mommytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
big dog, thats a nice stand. what kinda wood u use?
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
I used good grade of 2x4 and 3/4" plywood for the top and 1/2" plywood for the bottom. I used Strong Tie braces that came in a box with 4 coner braces and screws. It cost me around 45$ for the kit. It is well worth the price. I used the stone spray paint for the out side look. Than used a sealer to make it hard. It is not going anywhere thats for sure. I'm going to be making doors and shelfs for it very soon. I will post a picture of the whole set up soon. Having problems with the camera. Not working right. Thanks so much for liking it.

Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

build, building, diy, diy stand, stand, stand build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com