Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

DIY stand for 20long

anyone have any ideas? I dont want it to be fancy, just something easey....

CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

For a 20 gallon you could simply find a dresser or, most any decent quality table from a furniture store would hold it. A 20 gallon tank will max out around 175 pounds. So if you'd be comfortable sitting on the table/dresser it will hold a 20 gallon. I had my old 20 sitting on an old desk with a simple matt underneath to catch water drips so it didn't mar the desk. You could even put it on a book case if it's stable enough (meaning preferbly mounted to the wall/floor) and the shelves were solid enough (again, would support you sitting on it)

For building one, the money you would spend on wood and materials you might be able to find something at a thrift store for the same.

Here's an example, a TV stand for $70.

***"you sitting on it" assumes an average persons weight of 150-200 pounds

Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't recommend any furniture not designed to hold aquariums.
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Alot of tv's are close to the same weight as aquariums, so for smaller ones, I don't see what the problem would be in using a tv stand.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those are for the smaller ones,.. such as 10 gallons. But for a 20 gallon, I wouldn't want to use a TV stand.
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I kinda wanted to save some $$ and I could easily build a stand for about $20, I was just currious! I do have a dresser, but I dont think it could hold a 20 (has held my 10 for 2 years but....)
thanks
CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

my 30g long is sitting on a small vanity i picked up off the side of the road and repainted. its been there for ages without issues, if the surface is sturdy and LEVEL, who cares what the heck it is?

DIY is here to specifically get around buying retail aquarium supplies that are overpriced and inadequate.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree , and disagree....

If the tv stand or dresser comes as ready to assemble, such as billyz's link, I say no....flakeboard and knock down fittings are not durable enough to hold up to the weight and moisture...over time it will fail...(sorry Billy)

If the cabinet / furniture actually has some structure...some sort of joinery...better quality material...it should suffice...

As far as making one for a 20... it could be as simple as a 3/4 plywood cube...as long as it's square and the corners are fastened secure it will hold the weight fine...I just built this utility bench for my 55 out of 1 x 6 plywood scraps...it may not be pretty but it will hold the weight +...

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

i see your point, redswi. i would concur that flakeboard is not where you want to go with a stand... even one in a LFS...
my desk/vanity/stand is acually real wood, and had to be at least 20 years old or more, with god solid construction. and by the way

your wood working skill with scraps blows mine away! need an apprentice?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've seen a simple stand made of 2x4s with a sheet stapled around the top edge (bottom of tank) and it actually look pretty good. There is always a way to make something work without spending tons of money!!!

Tags
diy, diy stand, long, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com