DIY Stand for Aquarium- Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillage

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i am currently in the process of building a stand for my 55g that I bought. (Ends up, the 55g fits underneath due to a slight miscalculation. Guess who may be buying a bigger tank? :brows: )

I recently bought hinges for doors for the stand. The doors are the front sheet cut in half basically. I figured I wouldn't go to the trouble of making fancy doors, and I'd have better access. Anyways, I ended up getting the hinges after nailing in one of the sides. I used finishing nails, so it's not very easy to get out AFAIK. I was going to put the hinges on the ends of the stand, and put the plywood sheets over it, and then stain the plywood. But now I can't get the hinges on that one side. Any tips on getting that sheet off and putting it back on after the hinge is on?

Also, I would have started a build thread, but by the time I took pictures, the frame was already done. I'm almost done actually... I may incorporate it into a build thread of the tank, assuming I make one.

Thanks for any help guys!

I'd love to help but I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Are you wanting the hinges on the inside or outside of the frame?

Why can't you put the hinges on the side with the sheet on it?

If you are just trying to remove the plywood sheet you may have to tap it with a hammer on the inside in order to get it to pull away from the main structure, then get the nails out.

Perhaps photos would still help...

I'd love to help but I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Are you wanting the hinges on the inside or outside of the frame?

Why can't you put the hinges on the side with the sheet on it?

If you are just trying to remove the plywood sheet you may have to tap it with a hammer on the inside in order to get it to pull away from the main structure, then get the nails out.

Perhaps photos would still help...

+1

Just knock the side panel off and pull the nails, then renail the side panel next to the old nail holes. Sounds like you want the hinges sandwiched between the the side panel and the frame (2x4?), I'd use decking screws and run them thru the side panel, the screw holes of the hinges and buried into the 2x4 frame, then the hinge would be rock solid because it sounds like the doors are big and that way the door won't (shouldn't) sag.

Sounds like you want the hinges sandwiched between the the side panel and the frame (2x4?),

Exactly. It just looks a ton neater to me. The frame is made of 4x4 legs with all other parts 2x4. The door is a big sheet of plywood cut in half. I have two hinges for each half, so it should hold fine. I was just trying to figure out the best way to get the side off, because I had made the mistake of putting it on first because I was too rushed to get it done. =) I just want this thing done and ready to set up.

Also, if the stand sounds a little overkill, it is. =) The parents are a little worried about everything, so they want too much. Also, I may be getting a larger tank to use on top instead, because the 55g fits as a sump. =)

Thanks for the help again!

Well you can try using a scrap piece of 2x4 on the inside of the side panel and hit it with a hammer to try and loosen the nails. Or you can use a screw driver and tap it inbetween the side panel and the 4x4 and try to loosen it up that way.

Once you get about 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch gap, you should be able to tap on the side panel as if nailing it back into the 4x4 (but don't hit the nail head) and you could get a slight gap between the nail head and that side board-at least enough to get the claw part of the hammer under the head and pull it out.

Good luck!

Exactly. It just looks a ton neater to me. The frame is made of 4x4 legs with all other parts 2x4. The door is a big sheet of plywood cut in half. I have two hinges for each half, so it should hold fine. I was just trying to figure out the best way to get the side off, because I had made the mistake of putting it on first because I was too rushed to get it done. =) I just want this thing done and ready to set up.

Also, if the stand sounds a little overkill, it is. =) The parents are a little worried about everything, so they want too much. Also, I may be getting a larger tank to use on top instead, because the 55g fits as a sump. =)

Thanks for the help again!

Finish nails barely leave a mark and it is only on one side, so I would worry about it.

+1 for over building your stand, because there's nothing worse than wondering if it's going to be standing in morning lol.

Back
Top Bottom