DIY stand money and time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

son2fu

Aquarium Advice Regular
for a 20 gal tank stand, how much time and money would i spend, and what tools do i need? please help

If you do a search for "DIY Stand" on these forums you'll find some threads with links to good sites that offer plans. Here, found some:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89354&highlight=diy+stand

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3057&highlight=diy+stand

I started mine a week ago and should be done by the end of the week. I'm only putting in a few hours every other day or so. So you could do it quicker or shorter depending on how much time you have.

As for tools, I've used a circular saw, miter saw, sander, 2x4's, screws, liquid nails glue, power drill/screwdriver and some L brackets.

Probably around $50 for materials. Personally I think I'm over $100 cause of nice finishing wood, stain and trim.

I have minimal wood working skills and it has been a fun thing to do, and it shouldn't look too bad when done.[/url]

I built a dual 10g tank stand (side by side) two weekends ago. It cost me about $27 in supplies and about 3 1/2 hours of labor.

3 hours cutting wood and screwing it together.
1/2 hour painting it.

I probably spent an hour or so drawing it in sketchup to make sure I had thought it out as to how I wanted it made.

You will need something to do (somewhat accurate) cuts with. I borrowed a friend's compound mitre saw. You will also need a good drill to drill pilot holes and put in screws. You can use nails, but IMO screws are better. I used some old paint that had been used in my basement (since I was being cheap) to save money.

Money - depends on how fancy you want to build it. Structural parts out of 2x4's, screws, glue, etc. would set you back $10-20. How you skin it (ie plywood, solid wood, others), hardware, finish, extras like doors, shelves will drastically change the final price. For my 70 stand, I used solid hardwood with clear finish, and it set me back $200 or so. You can cut the cost significantly using plywood & paint instead.

Time - depends on your wood working experience & tool collection, and how pretty you want to make it. A basic stand can be put together over a weekend, but if you want to do furniture or heirloom grade work, expect to spend a few weeks.

Tools - minimum needed - saw, chisels, hammer/mallet, drill & screw driver, sandpaper, level & square, & tape measure. You can speed things up a lot (and usually get better results) using power tools instead. In that case you would need - table saw (good circular saw may be Ok), Power drill driver, Router, power sander. A planer/jointer & fancier tools will be nice if you plan to do fancy woodwork. Clamps are nice too for holding parts togather while you glue & screw, or you can get a helper.

Finally, you also need a flat & level space to build the stand. IME, trying to build furniture on uneven surfaces leads to uneven or out of level results. For a fish tank, you need the stand to be absolutely level & square .... although it is not as critical for a 20 gal due to lower weight.

Back
Top Bottom