Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2006, 01:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Garf suggested 4x4s for my 125gal stand I found. I built mine out of 2x6's and left the brace between the middle and end on both sides out. Its still built like a tank. Weighs 200-250 lbs easy.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't really tell how the framing is put together, any knows if the top,bottom and virticle 2x4 go under or to the side of the others?

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz
I can't really tell how the framing is put together, any knows if the top,bottom and virticle 2x4 go under or to the side of the others?
garf shows them as screwed into the sides... at least that is what i remember from when i was looking at the garf stands.

personally, i would do both... use a double 2x4 for the legs. cut the outer 2x4 shorter so that the top frame will rest on that 2x4 and use the inner 2x4 to screw into the inside of the top frame. the outer leg will carry most of the load to the bottom of the stand, and the inner 2x4 will add stability to the whole stand, and prevent it from racking -> going like this: /__/ instead of this |__| (yeah, i left off the top line)

oh, and use some screws to hold both parts of the leg together.

is this over designed... yes. but it is strong.

~mike
Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #14
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

how about cutting it in L shape so the upper frame rest on half of the 2x4 and the virticle section is inside of the frame and screws can go there herizontal? would that work?
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

nice

i checked out the site it, its pretty cool
u input the measurements you wants and tells how to cut it
i am going to use the plans for my new 100 gal
sweet

Tags
diy, diy stand, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com