DIY sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i was looking at some of the member tanks a couple of days ago and noticed that one person used a rubbermaid contained as a sump. so i was wanting to try this out. currently i have an amiricle wet/dry that is stripped down to hold my skimmer. i would like to get a 17 gallon rubbermaid container and use this instead. inside the rubbermaid i would like to place another container to place sand, rock and some macro algae. this is what i saw on the member tank and was wondering if it works well or not. if someone would like to throw in any comments to help me out i would really appriciate it. thanks kyle

Greetings Kyle.

I don't see any problem in doing that. Make sure that the area where you are going to place the sump is not too restricted and that it can accomodate the sump with everything you are going to put it now and in the future.

I have read that some containers have cracked at their seals because of not being able to hold too much water. So make sure that the seals are good and the walls are very thick.

Guys, any good cointainer models that you have tried to recommend to Kyle?

another question, when i bring in the water from the main tank should i place some sort of angle on the end of the pipe so that way it reduces the amount of bubbles entering the sump or will it be ok?

I have not done that, but that part I think you will need some trial and error.

You could put a container where the incoming water is going to be to reduce any bubbles that there might be. Or you could make a U shape so that the water flows to the surface.

I would recommend that you don't glue the elbow yet and do several trials first to see if there are any bubbles or any abnormalities, etc. and when you are happy the way it is, then glue it.

Back
Top Bottom