DIY Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I would like to make a sump for my 20g reef. It doesn't need to be anything fancy so I would like to use a "rubbermaid" type container. I have a few questions though, is there a certain type of plastic I want? I don't know if some kinds leak things out or anything.

Thanks!
Cole

well, a quality container probably won't leak. what i'm most concerned with is that these plastic containers you've mentioned are pretty flimsy, therefore not rigid enough for hold different baffles or section dividers in the long run. i have seen others use rubbermaid containers for their sump, but i really doubt it will last long. good luck

well, a quality container probably won't leak. what i'm most concerned with is that these plastic containers you've mentioned are pretty flimsy, therefore not rigid enough for hold different baffles or section dividers in the long run. i have seen others use rubbermaid containers for their sump, but i really doubt it will last long. good luck

That was my other question too, I've seen some that are pretty strong too

I had a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub as a temporary pond/mosquito tank, and it could hold water, but the sides bowed out quite significantly. I'm guessing the easiest solution would be to build a wood frame to hold in the sides.

I think I'm just going to buy a tank, seems like a much smaller headache and safer in the long run!

So this is my first time to do a sump, what kind of spray paint is safe to be put in the water once dried? Ive heard krylon fusion is safe

I think I'm just going to buy a tank, seems like a much smaller headache and safer in the long run!

So this is my first time to do a sump, what kind of spray paint is safe to be put in the water once dried? Ive heard krylon fusion is safe
Its best to spray paint the outside of the tank and not the inside. Then you don't have to worry about the toxicity, nor the paint chipping into your water, etc.

Its best to spray paint the outside of the tank and not the inside. Then you don't have to worry about the toxicity, nor the paint chipping into your water, etc.

I was going to paint the overflow.

I'm doing something completely different now. So thanks for everyones help! But I no longer need this thread.

Back
Top Bottom