Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like an interesting project.

Yes, my Rio is quiet, except when the tubing touches the edge of the sump. I have a piece of foam insulation around the tube where it touches. The pump is suspended mid level. If you have it place on the bottom it has nice rubber feet to keep it quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Yes it is a Rio Pump..

I have to ask is yours quiet? I am still a long ways from water and such in my tank

I got my glass yesterday and after seeing more sump designs than I can remember I will have the bubble trap on the side by the inlet.. then a short wall by the return pump

I also have a couple float switches along with a 'ping sensor' I plan on using an Arduino Uno for some of the control. I am thinking ATO, but starting simple and working my way there.

I tested my Overflow which works well and I need to build a second one that is improved (or hoped to be improved) I am surprised my wife is not complaining about the PVC pipe in the family room next to the tank.. LOL

seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome..

Quick question how did you set-up your return? Meaning I am using PVC pipe for it.. how did you attach it to the pump?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jeff,

I use a nylon tubing return even though I have a PVC drain. The PVC is noisier but looks neater. The one downside of the Rio pump is that the hardware (fittings) that comes with it is of odd dimensions. I took the parts to Home Depot and could not find a perfect fit. I had to use a makeshift alternative and sealant. It's not perfect but it doesn't leak. Photo attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20150125190209815(2).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	262302
Old 01-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the response.. What is the worm clamp attached to?

There are a few adapters that it over the outlet and have 3/4" NPT threads for PVC.. just wondering if using the nylon hose will keep the noise down.

Is your tank drilled? I am using a PVC Overflow.. I built 1, then a second with a better set up for initial start. I am getting closer to actually getting water.

I still need to finish the Arduino code for the Float in the display tank. I need to figure out the set-up for the sump. I am also thinking of using a Ultrasonic sensor for level control too..

One step at a time
Old 01-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh! Thanks for asking. It's hard to see and I almost forgot about it but that is part of the makeshift aspect that I mentioned earlier. That clamp is on a smaller diameter piece of nylon tubing. Because of the odd OD/ID of the hardware that the Rio pump came with, I had to improvise.

I think the hose is quieter than the PVC, however I'm not noticing much noise because I'm using a DIY standpipe in my overflow box outlet. I'm also planning to use some pipe insulation in the near future.

I would love to make some DIY overflows but the overflow box is working ok for now.

QUOTE=-=Jeff=-;3144239]Thanks for the response.. What is the worm clamp attached to?

There are a few adapters that it over the outlet and have 3/4" NPT threads for PVC.. just wondering if using the nylon hose will keep the noise down.

Is your tank drilled? I am using a PVC Overflow.. I built 1, then a second with a better set up for initial start. I am getting closer to actually getting water.

I still need to finish the Arduino code for the Float in the display tank. I need to figure out the set-up for the sump. I am also thinking of using a Ultrasonic sensor for level control too..

One step at a time[/QUOTE]
Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many drains do you have coming from the tank?

I have a 1" PVC I am using.. I will set up a 3/4 as a back up..

I am using 3/4" for the return. I just need to get something for mounting the PVC to hold it in place.

I am also not quite sure my dividers are correct, but I think they should work
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

The drain I have has one 1" PVC. It's on a 55gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
How many drains do you have coming from the tank?

I have a 1" PVC I am using.. I will set up a 3/4 as a back up..

I am using 3/4" for the return. I just need to get something for mounting the PVC to hold it in place.

I am also not quite sure my dividers are correct, but I think they should work
Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Progress:

I have the T to control flow.. if I have too much I can relive some back into the sump..

Still need mounting brackets for some if the PVC and I still need to glue some together..

Coming together slowly
Old 01-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jeff,

If I had to do it over again or make modifications to my PVC drain, I would have used two 45 degree angles instead of 90 degree angles. I think that would be slightly quieter.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Space is tight, but I might be able to configure for 45s.. which I would prefer too

Tags
diy, diy sump, flow, question, questions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com