Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I have it mocked up with 45s.. I still keep forgetting to get some sort of clamp to mount the pipes.. need to finish gluing them and get it assembled

I also have my arduino working.. on power on nothing runs.. I am required to press a start button to get the pump working.. That might not be a smart thing if it is a power outage while I am gone, but I can remove that if i need to. I can also shut it off with the same button. I might tweak the code to allow it to start on a power loss, it will however shut off if the Display flow switch is not closed (potential overflow)

Old 01-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some pipes glued.. some just mocked up...

Old 01-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the Eshopps skimmer is using the Sicce PSK200 pump, that pump is submersible. Simply drop it into the sump

That's what I plan on doing.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

OI will have to check, it is a HOB Skimmer..

I bought before I decided to do a sump and I found I could not cancel or return it..

besides is fits nice the way it is
Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fit isn't the problem. The pump may have to work harder to pull the water up the intake if it isn't high in the sump.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
The fit isn't the problem. The pump may have to work harder to pull the water up the intake if it isn't high in the sump.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Guess I don't completely understand why.. it is hanging on the side, just as it would in the display tank.. Once I get all the tubing done and mounted I will be closer to finding out how well it works

going to be a couple more weeks..
Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

When it's on the back of a tank, the water level in the tank is up pretty high (and thus high in the intake tube), and the pump only needs to work a little to get the water up and over.

In a sump, the water level is much lower in the sump (and in the intake), and the pump has to work much harder to bring the water up and over.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
When it's on the back of a tank, the water level in the tank is up pretty high (and thus high in the intake tube), and the pump only needs to work a little to get the water up and over.

In a sump, the water level is much lower in the sump (and in the intake), and the pump has to work much harder to bring the water up and over.

Right. but where I am sticking the Skimmer the divider is pretty high and the next section will be lower.. so the section the skimmer is in will have a water height as if it were in the display tank
Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Just my 2 cents but..... I have a similar HOB skimmer as you have. I noticed that the foam for the return is pretty high above the divider. This should really be under water. You may or may not be able to use it. I'm not sure if you can extend it or not and still have it work properly.

Do you know how high the water level would be in the sump when the tank is working normally? What I did was fill the tank until it started filling the sump and then filled most of the sump with all the pumps off. Then I filled the sump to a maximum level about 1 inch below the top. I used a marker to mark my maximum level, then I turned on the pumps and adjusted the flow until I was satisfied with it. The water level near the pump will have dropped but hopefully not so far as to start sucking air. (If it does, decrease the flow until the water is well above the pump inlet.) Mark that water level as a max fill line for when you top off the tank to replace water that has evaporated. What this will do is make sure you have enough room in the sump to hold the water from the tank in case you have a power outage or a pump failure.

Additionally, I would find a way to catch the skimmate and not let it go back into the sump if you can use that skimmer. (You may have already thought of that but I figured I would mention it.)
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the skimmer tip.. dunno what the water level will be,,

I can however, put the skimmer on the back of the tank too.. that might be the best spot for it to work correctly..

I wish I could extend the output tube of that skimmer.

When I bought it the initial plan was to hang it on the tank and use a canister filter.. but maybe I should hang this on the back since the return would then be in the water

Tags
diy, diy sump, flow, question, questions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com