Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

You can always hang it on the back of the tank. It looks like you are trying to keep your tank cleaner though. If you can hang it in the sump and make it work I think I would prefer that, but you may not be able to. Keep an open mind and good luck. The build looks really good.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_AF View Post
You can always hang it on the back of the tank. It looks like you are trying to keep your tank cleaner though. If you can hang it in the sump and make it work I think I would prefer that, but you may not be able to. Keep an open mind and good luck. The build looks really good.
Yep you are right..

It is going much slower than I thought it would.. LOL

Need to paint my PVC next..

Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I just had a 'duh' moment. The motor for the skimmer is capable of being submerged. Would it be feasable to hang it on one of the dividers inside the sump tank? You might have to add or change one of the baffles, but that could work unless you plan a cover over over the sump.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would like to cover the sump..

Progress is been really SLOW on this for me.. I will be gone the 1st part of June so I am not rushing to get water in it yet.. Plus I need to finish the Arduino code..
Old 03-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

VERY Slow process..

Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I have water in the tank now FINALLY.. Wanted to wait until after my vacation just in case

I also added a second overflow, smaller diameter and the inlet is sitting high in the tank. after several iterations with one design, I rebuilt it secondary one last night and it is whisper quiet.. The return pump is running on an arduino uno. I need to added a float switch to save the pump from running dry, but so far I am making progress
Old 06-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

I may not be able to answer that one since I have a different type.

Try here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Perfect.. @ 250-400 I can use one Overflow tube of 1" PVC.. I can build a secondary of 3/4" for emergency if needed then

So how would you segment the Sump??
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have the Rio 10. It is quiet as long as I don't let it touch the sides of the sump. I like the shock absorber feet that come with it. I have mine suspended with zip ties. Very quiet that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Yes it is a Rio Pump..

I have to ask is yours quiet? I am still a long ways from water and such in my tank

I got my glass yesterday and after seeing more sump designs than I can remember I will have the bubble trap on the side by the inlet.. then a short wall by the return pump

I also have a couple float switches along with a 'ping sensor' I plan on using an Arduino Uno for some of the control. I am thinking ATO, but starting simple and working my way there.

I tested my Overflow which works well and I need to build a second one that is improved (or hoped to be improved) I am surprised my wife is not complaining about the PVC pipe in the family room next to the tank.. LOL
Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

With my set-up now it is very quite.. I need to add the Ultrasonic sensor for pump off with too little water in the sump. I also have the ATO built in to the arduino code as well for my pump controller..

I got my Dry Live rock from BRS (Reef Safe stuff) once the epoxy hardens I will set it in the tank..

Coming along slowly
Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seove View Post
I have the Rio 10. It is quiet as long as I don't let it touch the sides of the sump. I like the shock absorber feet that come with it. I have mine suspended with zip ties. Very quiet that way.

Oops. It's a Rio HF-12 pump.

Tags
diy, diy sump, flow, question, questions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com