Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm kinda worried about those wheels.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First coat of paint is on and I started working on the sump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2213002406.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	163046

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1848432055.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	163047

I've decided to go with the skimmer, return, fuge configuration for the sump I realize it's more plumbing but I like the idea of being able to control the flow through the refugium.

I'm a little worried about the wheels now also but they're on an there are baseboards that go down to conceal them and corner trim and it would be a huge pain to remove them.

So this is what I've come up with. I'm going to leave the wheels on, then when I want to move the tank I will drain it about 89-90% and remove some of the rocks then move it to the new location and then put some blocks under the stand right by the wheels an shim them up to alleviate the weight from the wheels.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The stand came out great!! I just dropped of a wad of chaeto to fintastic today. Let me know when you're ready for some.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome! I just found a drilled 75 on CL for $50 it will fit the stand perfectly. Just sent them an email hopefully it's still there I'm gonna try to check it out today.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
I'm kinda worried about those wheels.
+1 on this. At 200 pounds each, it looks as though you used 4, so 800 pounds capacity. You're putting a 75 on it as the display, which is 600 pounds of water. You're using a 20L as the sump maybe halfway full, so there's another 80 pounds. The tanks themselves have mass as does the stand. By the time you're all said and done, I'm sure you're over 800 ponds.

Then you have to be concerned about weight distribution. The tank is meant to be supported all the way around the bottom rim, not just on the corners. If you just support it on the corners, it will want to sag in the middle, which I would be afraid would lead to a catastrophic tank failure.

It also induces a point load on the floor for an extended period of time.

I think there's a reason you never see tanks on wheels like that. You either need to add a heck of a lot more wheels or take the ones you have off.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep with this new development the setup will be over 1000 lbs so the wheels are out. Also, with the new tank I will not need the mobility I will just simply move the stuff over to the the new tank which will be sitting in its permanent place. Also after doing more research on the idea I became more weary about actually doing it. The work of removing the wheels and adding more wood to make up for the space lost is nothing compared to the potential catastrophe of one of the wheels breaking.

I hope I get this new tank it's a hell of bargain!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lucky bastard!! Yea I'm already itching to upgrade. I'm almost out of real estate. I'm thinking either 75 or 90. Looks like ill be making a new stand yet again. U hope you get it, while your setup is already apart. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well unfortunately that tank was gone I missed it by just a few days... But I found another 75 for $80 that isn't drilled so I might get it and drill it myself, anyone have experience w that? From what I've been reading it seems pretty simple.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tim up at aquatek in st lucie up by my house quoted me 50 bucks to drill my tank. That was with fish and some water in it at my house. Then I found out my tank was tempered and you can't drill a tempered tank. I would pay somebody personally. It looks easy but that would be one thing I wouldn't DIY.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have not personally drilled a tank yet but I also hear its super easy and there is a great video on the bulkreefsupply website demonstrating how to drill one. Hope this helps.

Tags
diy, diy sump, stand, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com