Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

diy sump build

Hi I'll be building sump this weekend out of my old 30 gallon nano reef tank and had a few questions first I wanted to know if I should buy plexi glass or just plan glass?
Then my setup would have 3 chambers first chamber would have my intube line from overflow box, skimmer and heater maybe a small filter second chamber will be the fuge and last will be the return pump now I wanted to add a bubble trap but don't know how or were to put it after fuge ? Or before ? Thanks

Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

put the bubble trap right before the return.

HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76
put the bubble trap right before the return.
Ok thxs I was talking to a friend and he said to do skmmer, return pump, then fuge but I think the fuge won't get any flow or I might be wrong I'm confused :$ on the whole thing.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red44

Ok thxs I was talking to a friend and he said to do skmmer, return pump, then fuge but I think the fuge won't get any flow or I might be wrong I'm confused :$ on the whole thing.
From what i understand when u do this set up you either have an extra small pump in your sump to carry water into your fuge then it overflows back to your return pump. Or if you have 2 overflows u can have one drop into skimmer section & fugue section, this has it's benefits also. As far as plexiglas, acrylic, or glass just use what's cheapest & most readily available to you. Many people have used all of the above. Mr. X even has some posts about a time he used $10 cutting boards from wal-mart.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
I was planning on T'ing my return to from a central return chamber in my 40g to the fuge but decided against it so that A) it would be less complicated of a build B) have copepods get sucked through the system into the DT to help feed things here and there C) learned that a higher flow rate doesn't hurt anything in the fuge.

X brought up the cutting board thing in his thread and after pricing, because of the depth of the 40g, I went with the .22mm acrylic sheet. I had to buy some huge cutting boards at $12 each and would need 1 board for each baffle. I was going to spend more with the boards than on the acrylic and I'd have some scraps for misc things I want to make. Just price what you need out. If you go with anything but glass, the silicone just needs to be used graciously as it won't bond well with anything but glass. It will act more as a wedge between the chambers.
mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I'll Prob going to get glass if it's cheaper I was also watching mr saltwater tank video and he has a sump were it first the fuge the inline from overflow with skimmer, heater than return pump
Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

my tank is skimmer and heater, then the return section then fuge. my return is t'ed off to run the fuge.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice I'm wondering how high up should the glass go to the top or half way? I don't want it to over flow:$
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

my first two sections are 11 inches deep and my fuge is 13 3/4 inches.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You need to build the skimmer chamber high enough for the skimmer... too high isn't necessarily bad since you can put something under the skimmer like eggcrate on PVC, but you have to leave room for water from the overflow and whatever comes out of your return line to drain back down without overflowing when the power is off.

I originally went with skimmer > fuge > return, but have since tee'd my drain and have a refugium that overflows in to my sump, increasing my total water volume by about 18 gallons. It's all personal preference. I was told that running the refugium off the return pump isn't the greatest idea, since you're essentially recirculating skimmed water through the refugium, and also possibly pods and things.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, diy, diy sump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com