DIY sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SFAquariums1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I am about to set up a 20 gallon nano saltwater tank but first would like to build a sump for it... The 20 gallon I bought off Craigslist and is a bit of a mystery as to whether it is tempered glass or not so I am extremely uncomfortable. Drilling through it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build the sump so the pipes can hang over the back but still use a sump?

Thanks

Thanks that's a pretty smart way to do it. I was planning on using pumps to get the water out of the tank. Almost like a canister filter but sump style haha

No problem, most are gravity fed and then use a return pump. Specially since gravity fed with a air siphon cut prevents spillage if your return pump ever fails.

I can chime in on this one. I have been running a wet/dry sump on my tanks for 2 years with no issues.

You do not want to use two pumps to run these systems as it is WAY too hard to synchronize the pumps and prevent the sump or the tank from over flowing. You need to use a siphon to pull water from the DT into your sump and use a pump to return the water to the DT. Since mine is already set up and in use it's nearly impossible to get pictures of the system in use, but I dug up some pics from the original build.

I have a 75g DT with a 20g sump. I'm using a hydroponic medium for my biological medium and have hed no problems with it at all. Once every 2-3 months you just have to stir it up really good.

Here are a few pics. I apologize for the bad angles, but, like I said, this is an operating system that is quite inaccessible.

This is the siphon when it was originally built for a 20g:
59154-albums13818-picture65673.jpg

This is the wet/dry sump
59154-albums13818-picture65676.jpg

This is the siphon drain coming off of the DT.
59154-albums13818-picture65678.jpg

This is the stand pipe inside the DT.
59154-albums13818-picture65674.jpg

Back
Top Bottom