DIY Sump - Design suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was going to go with a rubbermaid type sump, but managed to get a 29g tank for next to nothing... this is for a 90g AGA.

SumpDesign.jpg

I was trying to get a larger return section to account for evaporation water loss, so I broke out the skimmer section into a separate container that I'll elevate up a bit and place on the side of the 29g. Not sure what size I need for the skimmer section, but that is alll that section is going to contain; with water flowing down from a bulkhead in this skimmer section into the return, and water also flowing into the fuge from the overflow, controlled by a ball valve. Note this will be an external return pump more than likely coming out of the return.

Some questions:

1. Does this look reasonable?
2. Any issues with putting a skimmer in a separate container like this, with water flowing over into the return?
3. I was going to put a media box of some sort on the flow into the skimmer section, just a plastic mesh box into which I can put carbon or something...or should that go between the skimmer section and return section?
4. I'd like to have algae/pods/whatever growing in the fuge...have not done this before, but is a 6.3G 11" across fuge big enough for 4" sand and whatever else I want to grow (w/light)?

Any other comments?
Thanks!

LR rubble area will be in skimmer section? My tanks are all FW, but I sure envy what LR brings you SW guys :) Only thoughts are T-ing at return line makes sure all water goes through skimmer/bio stage (but perhaps you have enough going on at fuge to not need it), and afaik bubble traps are a big benefit for SW and room for integration/experimentation later might be wise. Wish I could help more.

What program are you using for diagrams? Looks good.

czcz said:
LR rubble area will be in skimmer section? My tanks are all FW, but I sure envy what LR brings you SW guys :) Only thoughts are T-ing at return line makes sure all water goes through skimmer/bio stage (but perhaps you have enough going on at fuge to not need it), and afaik bubble traps are a big benefit for SW and room for integration/experimentation later might be wise. Wish I could help more.

What program are you using for diagrams? Looks good.

Thanks, yes I've had other comments about adding bubble traps...I'll add some baffles to do that.

I'm using PowerPoint, not too fancy..but it came out fine. Nice and readable.

Thanks for the comments!

Back
Top Bottom