DIY Sump/Fuge intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakers88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank stand is completely divided into two sections due to a brace that goes down the middle so I cannot have a good size Sump/Fuge unless I do some serious modifying. So instead I need a different tank for the Sump and a different tank for the Fuge, This is a setup of how I want to make it, does anyone see a problem with this kind of setup? Also not pictured here I will have a canister filter hooked up near the skimmer and releasing the water near the pump. I will just dirll a 1-2" hole in the brace of the stand to fit the PVC through to ajoin the two tanks.

http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/photo05/25/5b/7317f0ed3443.bmp

Last edited:
I am having the exact same issue right now with my 48" tank and stand. The brace in the middle really limits the sump I wanted to add. I was hoping to get a 30 or 36" sump. But after doing some measuring I think the best I can do is maybe squeeze at 23" under there. I don't know it is going to be tight. I'm going to see if I can go to marinedepot and pick it up tomorrow. The link of it is below. Your link wouldn't come up on my computer, but I would like to see it. I haven't made any purchases yet I may want to do the same thing.

Berlin Sump BS-1, 23 inch x 12 inch x 14 inch (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Filters > Sumps > Complete Units )

7317f0ed3443.bmp

Lets see if that shows up this time..

I like the link you gave me, kind of expensive though, not compared to most fuges though, but I think building one will be cheaper and it will be specific to the person who designs it..

No, 1/4" acrylic/plexiglass you can get it at most hardware places like home depot, lowes, ace hardware/best hardware, or you can get it online, for my plans it would cost like 80.00 for all of it, give or take some, if you buy it at the hardware store they will cut it all for you to the sizes you want and then you just have to get some glue and sealant and design it how you want.

You need to match the return flow with the intake flow and this would make it hard. Matching the flow from exit to return will mean some planning. As the amount of flow in both is important to its excistance.

Why do you want one or another or both ?

How is water going to get to the right side tank? It looks like you have the water from the tank coming in on the left and the return pump is on the left. How is water going to circulate thru the right side tank?

I have a multi sump setup and from what I'm looking at in your drawing you aren't going to get the kind of flow through your fuge that you will need for it to beneficial to your system.

You have two options is you are going to set your tanks up side by side like that.

Option 1

Split your drain line and have one side flow over to the fuge and the other into your skimmer area. Also you will want to put the hole/connection between the tanks higher. I would suggest above the working water level of your return pump. Gravity is your friend.

Option 2

A small feeder pump say 90gph or so (a maxi400 would work also) to pump water up out of the sump and over into the fuge.

Either way you decide to go you need to move the connection between the two tanks higher. Like I said above, you want that above the working water level of your sump. This allows water to flow from the fuge back into the sump.

Here are a few pics of my "behind the scenes"

Fuge: The drain line is coming from the left and dumps at the right rear of the Fuge. I drilled this (20g) tank for the water to flow out the left side and into the start of my sumps.
1011605smallgm7.jpg

Start of Sumps: You can see the drain from the fuge dump into the first sump. At the rear of this sump is the drain coming from my 55g Frag tank This is connected to another sump to the left which has LR and my frag plugs as well as a Reactor that I use as needed. Right now it has carbon in it. I keep my heaters in this fuge as well. The pump you see is the return pump for my 55g Frag tank. This sump connects in the back to a rubbermaide tote that has my skimmer and the return pumps for the main reef.
1011607smalleu6.jpg

Final Sump: this is the largest of the three holding a max of 30g. This sump has a heater in it as well as the float switch for my ATO and the skimmer. I also have the return pumps for the reef in this sump. A lot of this will be changed in the up coming weeks as I finish the upgrade to the 150. I'm going get rid of all these return pumps and go with one large pump.
1011608smallke2.jpg

I hope that helps you out some. Oh and BTW...I don't normally have all those wires and things going everywhere. I have a 90g pond sitting right outside the door of my tiny fish room that has pumps going to it for the 150 build. LOL

I didn't even think of how water was going to get to the right side, more than likely a small pump as stated previously. Thanks for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom