Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My built in overflow has spaces in it. This thread is getting hostile.

somethingsfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
breaking a 10gallon tank and using the glass on it for parts r a good idea.

BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
What size are you planning to make? I just made one out of a 10gal for a55gal which is pretty small in general. Because it's tall, surface area is smaller so I'm getting away with it as far as back flow could go.

My honest opinion (from reading for a few months now) on anything 20gal or smaller is that the sock filter setup (unless above the sump somehow and dripping in) is a waste of space. I wanted to do the same thing but you can do just as good mechanical filtration on top of your bio media and get more media in the actual tank with some better planning.

It's just my opinion and I'm not an expert as you'll see in my build thread... I'm still modifying it. I'm cutting my refugium wall down about another inch and slotting it to give myself better piece of mind in the event of a power outage and some back flow.

mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Filter socks are hard to do unless you have a sump inlet assembly. I was rubberbanding to my drain pipe until I bought one. Very glad I did. I saw a video last night of a cheap DIY filter sock holder.

A cheap and cool way to hang your (aquarium) socks - YouTube

I don't think FW tanks use skimmers do they? If they do, the dimensions of the first chamber will have to be considered. Mine is 8x9 and I can't fit any in-sump skimmer along with the filter sock, so I am getting a hob one to hang on the side of my sump.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, diy sump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com