diy sump ideas need advice from pros!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gauriemma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im going to build a sump for my new 75 gallon tank and need advice it will be freshwater. What size return pump should i use? 2nd here are some pics of sump ideas thinking of using a sock for filtering. What should i add to these? What other filter media do i need? Im also going to put a heater in as well. This will probably be a cichlid peacock tank. Thanks for help.
heres my idea pic others are of some manufactures.
img_1536036_0_d8d281ebc03e493ab8604771a1b28f29.jpg

img_1536036_1_0594972127ff930370c3d611f3f53205.jpg

img_1536036_2_e9012c89551fd6f7428721684141e6fb.jpg

img_1536036_3_579443508776711c0cd989f770f3288d.jpg

vettekingz06

I have a 30g sump for my 90g main tank. for the main filtration I have the input from tank flowing onto a drip plate (to disperse water). under drip plate is my filter pad resting on egg crate. under egg crate is the pot scrubbers which serve as the bio filtration. they are way cheaper than bio balls. make sure all are not completely under water. the beneficial bacteria needs air to grow. I have no room for the filter sock but like that idea. I use a mag 9 pump. In your first drawing I would have the first divider with a gap at the bottom. This will "force" the water to go through the sponge filter then onto the return chamber. You can get the pot scrubbers for $1.00 per pack @ dollar stores.

Last edited:
Island_Emt said:
I have a 30g sump for my 90g main tank. for the main filtration I have the input from tank flowing onto a drip plate (to disperse water). under drip plate is my filter pad resting on egg crate. under egg crate is the pot scrubbers which serve as the bio filtration. they are way cheaper than bio balls. make sure all are not completely under water. the beneficial bacteria needs air to grow. I have no room for the filter sock but like that idea. I use a mag 9 pump. In your first drawing I would have the first divider with a gap at the bottom. This will "force" the water to go through the sponge filter then onto the return chamber. You can get the pot scrubbers for $1.00 per pack @ dollar stores.

Bb dont need air to grow! They need airation like an air pump. Benefitial bacteria dies once it sit in air. It dries out. How do you think canister filters work

Bb dont need air to grow! They need airation like an air pump. Benefitial bacteria dies once it sit in air. It dries out. How do you think canister filters work

excuse me for poor wording. for the bio media to work at its most efficient, the media should remain out of the water (or as much of it as you can). The water drips through the media. You do not use air pumps in sumps.

Ok you mean when the water comes in and goes thru the sock the first divider put the divider up an inch or so the water goes under not over the divider. Now should i put an egg crate at bottom of first intake under sock and put scrubbies as extra filter.?

Ok you mean when the water comes in and goes thru the sock the first divider put the divider up an inch or so the water goes under not over the divider. Now should i put an egg crate at bottom of first intake under sock and put scrubbies as extra filter.?

yes almost like pic 4. I have an egg crate "base" sitting 2-3 inches above tank bottom. scrubbies rest on this. My divider has a bottom gap of about 2 inches. water flows under divider and is forced up through sponge or filter pad sandwiched between divider 1 and divider 2, before ending up in chamber 2. I would put the scrubbies below the filter sock with egg crate keeping it off the bottom.

Island_Emt said:
excuse me for poor wording. for the bio media to work at its most efficient, the media should remain out of the water (or as much of it as you can). The water drips through the media. You do not use air pumps in sumps.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude or anything

The filter sock is nice but make sure your fish don't go into the overflow. I have 2 inch glofish and I found several times they end up in the sump.

somethingsfishy said:
The filter sock is nice but make sure your fish don't go into the overflow. I have 2 inch glofish and I found several times they end up in the sump.

Do you have a guard over the intake? It not then your suppose to

breaking a 10gallon tank and using the glass on it for parts r a good idea.

What size are you planning to make? I just made one out of a 10gal for a55gal which is pretty small in general. Because it's tall, surface area is smaller so I'm getting away with it as far as back flow could go.

My honest opinion (from reading for a few months now) on anything 20gal or smaller is that the sock filter setup (unless above the sump somehow and dripping in) is a waste of space. I wanted to do the same thing but you can do just as good mechanical filtration on top of your bio media and get more media in the actual tank with some better planning.

It's just my opinion and I'm not an expert as you'll see in my build thread... I'm still modifying it. I'm cutting my refugium wall down about another inch and slotting it to give myself better piece of mind in the event of a power outage and some back flow.

final-filter.jpg

Filter socks are hard to do unless you have a sump inlet assembly. I was rubberbanding to my drain pipe until I bought one. Very glad I did. I saw a video last night of a cheap DIY filter sock holder.

A cheap and cool way to hang your (aquarium) socks - YouTube

I don't think FW tanks use skimmers do they? If they do, the dimensions of the first chamber will have to be considered. Mine is 8x9 and I can't fit any in-sump skimmer along with the filter sock, so I am getting a hob one to hang on the side of my sump.

Back
Top Bottom