Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

diy sump ideas need advice from pros!

Im going to build a sump for my new 75 gallon tank and need advice it will be freshwater. What size return pump should i use? 2nd here are some pics of sump ideas thinking of using a sock for filtering. What should i add to these? What other filter media do i need? Im also going to put a heater in as well. This will probably be a cichlid peacock tank. Thanks for help.
heres my idea pic others are of some manufactures.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 30g sump for my 90g main tank. for the main filtration I have the input from tank flowing onto a drip plate (to disperse water). under drip plate is my filter pad resting on egg crate. under egg crate is the pot scrubbers which serve as the bio filtration. they are way cheaper than bio balls. make sure all are not completely under water. the beneficial bacteria needs air to grow. I have no room for the filter sock but like that idea. I use a mag 9 pump. In your first drawing I would have the first divider with a gap at the bottom. This will "force" the water to go through the sponge filter then onto the return chamber. You can get the pot scrubbers for $1.00 per pack @ dollar stores.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Emt
I have a 30g sump for my 90g main tank. for the main filtration I have the input from tank flowing onto a drip plate (to disperse water). under drip plate is my filter pad resting on egg crate. under egg crate is the pot scrubbers which serve as the bio filtration. they are way cheaper than bio balls. make sure all are not completely under water. the beneficial bacteria needs air to grow. I have no room for the filter sock but like that idea. I use a mag 9 pump. In your first drawing I would have the first divider with a gap at the bottom. This will "force" the water to go through the sponge filter then onto the return chamber. You can get the pot scrubbers for $1.00 per pack @ dollar stores.
Bb dont need air to grow! They need airation like an air pump. Benefitial bacteria dies once it sit in air. It dries out. How do you think canister filters work
Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.jonathan.o View Post
Bb dont need air to grow! They need airation like an air pump. Benefitial bacteria dies once it sit in air. It dries out. How do you think canister filters work
excuse me for poor wording. for the bio media to work at its most efficient, the media should remain out of the water (or as much of it as you can). The water drips through the media. You do not use air pumps in sumps.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Emt View Post
Ok you mean when the water comes in and goes thru the sock the first divider put the divider up an inch or so the water goes under not over the divider. Now should i put an egg crate at bottom of first intake under sock and put scrubbies as extra filter.?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauriemma View Post
Ok you mean when the water comes in and goes thru the sock the first divider put the divider up an inch or so the water goes under not over the divider. Now should i put an egg crate at bottom of first intake under sock and put scrubbies as extra filter.?
yes almost like pic 4. I have an egg crate "base" sitting 2-3 inches above tank bottom. scrubbies rest on this. My divider has a bottom gap of about 2 inches. water flows under divider and is forced up through sponge or filter pad sandwiched between divider 1 and divider 2, before ending up in chamber 2. I would put the scrubbies below the filter sock with egg crate keeping it off the bottom.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Emt

excuse me for poor wording. for the bio media to work at its most efficient, the media should remain out of the water (or as much of it as you can). The water drips through the media. You do not use air pumps in sumps.
Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude or anything
Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The filter sock is nice but make sure your fish don't go into the overflow. I have 2 inch glofish and I found several times they end up in the sump.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingsfishy
The filter sock is nice but make sure your fish don't go into the overflow. I have 2 inch glofish and I found several times they end up in the sump.
Do you have a guard over the intake? It not then your suppose to
Old 09-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.jonathan.o View Post
Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude or anything
no sweat...its all good.

Tags
diy, diy sump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com