DIY sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IAmDaryl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have completed my new sump and am very happy with the results so far. As you can see from the drawing below I have 2 durso stand pipes in the sump and they are very quiet. :D

I found that it is very important that the durso pipes are at the exact same height or one will draw all the water. I had to take into consideration that one had a larger diameter than the other as well.

I also like the fact that I can control the water flow in both the protein skimmer side and the refug side. In stead of pushing the water from the skimmer to the refug to the return pump.

The problem I am having is that the pipe leading to the refug side is creating a lot of micro-bubbles. I installed a “T” on the end to prevent stirring up the sand, but this didn’t help with all the bubbles.

I don’t really want to cut back the pipe so that it is above the water lines…I’m afraid of the splashing. But if that’s what I have to do, so be it.
I don’t know maybe if I put a sock on it?

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 29_G_Sump 25.jpg
    29_G_Sump 25.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 131
You will always have microbubbles traveling down the line. Since the drain line has water and air, both will empty into the sump. You can use a filter sock, just remember to clean it every few days. If you have baffles setup, the microbubbles shouldn't be able to get thru and make it to the pump where they would get pumped back into the display.

Back
Top Bottom