Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

DIY Sump questions

I have been doing a lot of research and reading about sumps on this site on on the web, but I still have some questions.

I have recently inherited a 30 gallon tank and was considering transforming it into a sump for my 75 gallon SW tank. I also have an extra rio 2500 submersible pump that is rated at 782 gph.

Is this pump big enough?

What other parts are needed? Overflow box, valves, etc.

Where can I find plans for plumbing and tank modifications?

Also, how does the "physics" work? what keeps the sump from siphoning out the water if the pump shuts down? What keeps the pump from overfilling the tank? My high school science is a little rusty.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That pump should be fine, as long as you still have another couple powerheads to provide additional water flow. 10 X turnover for regular FOWLER, up to 20 X for reef. After head height pressure, you're looking to get ballpark 450-500 gph, depending on your pvc setup.

An overflow box is needed, and I would suggest a ball valve on the EXIT end of the pump back to the tank. Also I would put a tru-union joint on the way up too just in case you need to break the system down to clean it out. I don't trust back-siphon joints... they can fail. To counteract this in case the power goes out, I merely position my exits in the tank 1/2 inch below the water surface, so that the back-siphon will break with only minimal water being sucked back down to your sump.

Check www.google.com for random plans. All you really need is a few baffles to direct water in different places. You don't NEED these... but they help. I have 4 compartments: 1 for my LR rubble, which is about 8 inches of my existing 20L. Then it spills into my skimmer area that's 9 inches (this depends on the kind of skimmer you have and its "footprint"). Then I have 3 inches for a bubble trap, and the rest is for my return pump. I'm going to redo a new 40 gal tank I bought to be a new sump to incorporate a fuge... but this isn't necessary either.

Physics: the main tank can only drain as fast as the pump can pump. This is why you need a pump that will pump LESS than the overflow can drain. If the overflow can't keep up with the pump, you'll end up with an overflowing tank, and an empty sump with a burnt pump. A ball valve will help to slow it down... just make sure that it's on the EXIT end of the pump (pressure side). Basically... an overflow box is designed/made to keep the siphon at all times. If the power shuts off, water will siphon back into the sump until air is introduced into the system. This is why I have my returns close to the top... just so that way not a ton of water gets returned back into the sump. As the power turns back on, water is pumped back into the main, and as it reaches the overflow box, it gets drained back into the sump, and everything is fine. Without that overflow box, if the power went out, the siphon would break, and there would be no way to restart it automatically to prevent overflowing your tank.

I'll post pictures of my setup when I get home from work. HTH

Old 05-24-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
zacdl

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html
Old 05-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

SpEd, if you don't have too much pump for the overflow, you can get better flow rates if you get the return line lower (lower head height). I find redundancy with siphon break holes a requirement, and I clean them with each pwc. HTH

I look forward to pics, RLG2182

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm actually in the process of documenting my 40 gal sump DIY... should be done by tomorrow as the silicone dries. After that... I'm going to DIY moonights, and then do a DIY canopy fan conversion... (4) 80mm fans to control heat. I'll post them all as I complete them.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info folks.

RLG2182, I look forward to seeing your set up.

You might consider using the following for your moonlight:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=CU01652

I ordered some and got them in yesterday. They look great. The cost is very close to that of buying buying the components and building one yourself (and might even be cheaper, depending on how many LEDs you burn out trying to make it work). I was a quick and simple install. [/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got my LED's from ledwerx.com. Once I get them in, I'll set them up, document it, and see how it goes.

Tags
diy, diy sump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com