DIY Sump/Refuge cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I am at the point where I need to replace the glass on my 75gal (10+ yrs old) or more desirably upgrade to ideally a 120gal. I love my large Tangs.

As always budget is an issue (more so for the spouse) which is why I still do not have proper lighting.

My basic thought is to buy a 120gal Tank only and build a stand/hood customized for my needs. Then transfer the contents of the 75gal over plus some more CC and additional base rock over time.

The question I have is I would like to use my scratched up 75gal as a sump and possibly a fuge down the road. If I go this route funding will be tight and I would like to use as much of the existing equipment I have. This would probably provide close to 160-170 gal set up and make water changes a ton easier.

I understand how to create a syphon from the main tank to the sump and would probably buy a syphon box (rated up to 500GPH) which my LFS carries. Anyone with cheaper DIY idea would be appreciated. Instead of buying an expensive pump could I use one or two of my 350 canister filters as a pump?

otherwise, a larger protien skimmer and of course more lighting would seem to be the only things I would need to get started once the stand is built.

Thoughts on this or any other considerations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Do you have a canopy to house some DIY lighting? are you intrested in DIYing MH or CF?
Is your scratched up 75 gallon glass? If so you can use glass and silicone to make your sump chambers/bubble trap and such..
As far as using your magnum 350 as a pump.. I would think you would want alot more flow then what it can give you..
DIY syphon overflow boxes are an option.. you could make them bigger for more flow.. ive seen 1200gph ones.. HTH

greenmaji,

I do not have a canopy yet, but that is part of the plan with the a DIY Stand. Have not committed to any lighting yet as you can see lighting has not been a priority yet (funding).

The only problem with the 75 is that it is scratched at this point. I guess another concern would be age. Not sure how long they are built to last. It is around 10+ years.

Stopped by the LFS on the way home tonight with questions about building a chevette and the guy wanted to sell me a cadillac including upgrading to an acrylic tank. It is frustrating when some people just don't listen. Not sure how much he makes working FT at an LFS, but he did not want to talk and tried to make it sound like a DIY was almost impossible.

I did get some good info. on flow rates and realize I will need to purchase a reliable pump.

Any info. or links on DIY Sumps/filters would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tanks are good for 30 years + if not more..
we have a link to sumps in the sticky at the top of the page..

I have some lighting ideas that are not too bad $$ wise.. :p

Great, I will check it out. I would be interested in the lighting ideas as well, are they in the sticky?

The lighting ideas are basically mine..
CF ballasts..
http://www.prolighting.com/wo5elba12loc.html or
http://www.prolighting.com/wo7elba12loc.html
reflectors..
http://www.hellolights.com/reflectors.html
CF end caps..
http://www.hellolights.com/pcengertypba.html most common I can think of..
CF lamp clips.. not needed if you get the reflector from hellowlights..
they will do the riveting for free when you buy the clips with the reflector.. :p
http://www.hellolights.com/pclampclip1.html
CF bulb deals.. this e-bay seller has bulk packs with great deals :p
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaquadealQQhtZ-1

I know its alot of links but its the best deals on the CF parts that I have found so far.. HTH

Thanks, I will check it out.

Has anyone tried the DIY Tanks? I am very interested as the budget is tight. The link does not mention a frame for the glass tanks. I would not think the sealent would be that strong. Is there a best brang of silicone to useas I think this would be key?
Would it be suggested to place a wood frame aroung top and bottom similar to the plasic ones currently on All Glass tanks?

GE Silicone #1 is a solid brand name silicone, DAP would be another good name brand... the glass frame on top is the key... and doing a little beefing up on one whouldnt hurt any.. are you thinking of using it as a sump or display tank?
If a sump is what your after you can use rubbermaid.. they make a rigid tub for watering farm livestock thats plenty beefy if you are worried about the storage contaners they make to pack away odds and ends.. that and it has a bulkhead installed that you can use for an external pump.. :p

Actually I am condsidering a display tank. I plan to take the cut sheet to the glass company so I can do a cost comparison as opposed to buying. I would like a 120 and then convert my 75g to Sump/Refugium per the sticky post.

Otherwise I will probably but new 75 or 90 glass so I can use my existing stand.

I am just concerned with sturdiness of a DIY tank.

Also, what about the glass edges on top, if they are exposed would they not be sharp and less sturdy?

sorry I dont have the glass tools that smooth the edges saved in my bookmarks.. :(
these have been done.. heck the garf.org founder has one and you saw the pictures of it most likely.. This is how tanks are still built in europe.. Germany comes to mind...

greenmaji,

Great information. 8) I actually know someone who does stain glass and I will ask the glass company, I bet they sand them as well. I was just thinking that exposed edges would be more fragile and subseptable to chipping/cracking.

What I am thinking about is first building a top and bottom frame with some nice trim wood to include some middle cross supports to stabilize the sides and support the bottom. I would them stain and seal the wood frames prior to assembly. I will use a router or saw to cut slots for the glass to fit into which should make assembly a lot easier as well. With this plan the bottom would be slightly elevated probably about 1/4".

I am very curious to see how much glass costs. This might be a cheaper way to obtain the 120g I have wanted and make the sales pitch tho the financial manager(wife) a lot easier :lol: . The best price I have see for a 120g tank only is about $300.

Im not sure how expensive 3/8" glass is but good luck getting a good price :p
I would check more then one place to get a feel for the prices.. :p
your wood trim sounds definatly doable.. :p

Back
Top Bottom