Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY Sump rubbermaid type- question

I'm trying to decide between a DIY sump, either 20g glass tank partitioned with plexiglass walls or rubbermaid. I get the glass tank designs I've seen. I'm not sure about the rubbermaid-types.

I'm thinking for a Rubbermaid-type sump I can get one fairly large container for the entire sump (let's say 40g), then insert much smaller containers, varying the height of the containers to dictate how much water I want to flow into the container.

The first smaller container would be the intake, which would be large enough to house the skimmer. I could then insert another smaller container for let's say some live rock, other things...and finally a return pump in the overall large container. Would that be sufficient? Or do you need to drill bulkheads from one container to another (not relying on just water flow in/out of the smaller container tops.

I guess the pics of rubbermaid-type sumps I've seen are hard to view because they are solid.

Any thoughts on pros/cons of this type of sump vs. a partitioned 20g-30g let's say?

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I've not tried this, but I would think using a container within a container would work for the first stage, but not subsequent stages. I just don't see how water will be stopped from bypassing subsequent containers/filtration, or how you'd have a replacement for below baffle passthrough for bubble trap without adding bulkheads and cutting containers. Maybe draw a picture?

Hope this helps.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by czcz
I've not tried this, but I would think using a container within a container would work for the first stage, but not subsequent stages. I just don't see how water will be stopped from bypassing subsequent containers/filtration, or how you'd have a replacement for below baffle passthrough for bubble trap without adding bulkheads and cutting containers. Maybe draw a picture?

Hope this helps.
OK I put together a quick drawing of what I'm thinking.

Chamber 1 - Top lift flush with top lift of the entire sump, this is the intake. Could have some lr in there, with holes on the bottom for water to flow through to the rest of the sump...maybe actually replacing the bottom with eggcrate to allow water to very quickly flow through to the rest of the sump.

Chamber 2 - Top lift a few inches down from the normal water line, allowing water to flow into and out of this "partition". Was thinking the ps would go there.

Chamber 3- Similar to #2, but you could perhaps put additional things here, like sand, lr, whatever. Again the height and relative size of container would dictate how much water would go into and out of this container.

Normally does one simply create partitions in a rubbermaid sump as you would a glass aquarium?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It might be my computer, but all I see is "Image"

I assume you're sealing around the chambers to prevent water from going around? Would suggest you play with the height between compartment 2 and 3 so entry between 1 and 2 is higher. I like that you should be able to drill holes in the bottom of compartments and use them as baffles that way, if you can vary their height from the bottom of the container. I once saw a sump design where the builder used small compartments filled with media for his sump, but he dropped those compartments into a tank with traditional baffles, allowing water to first go over the top of a baffle, into a media container, then forced below the next baffle, then over, etc. I think such an over/under design maximized the efficency of the unit, rubermaid or not. Ive tried looking at King Vinnie's and Google today but no luck. WIll post link if I find it.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 04-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Morticus
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=48277

Here is a link to my DIY rubbermade wet-dry/sump. It shows how I did a rubbermade within a rubbermade. I am also planning to put a divider between the w/d and where the water gets pumped back, and will be using the outside around the w/d as a refuge. HTH.

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

mentioned link: http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...mp_Filter.html

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 04-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
It might be my computer, but all I see is "Image"
Shoot...does this work?

When I preview it I can see it..I have it in my member gallery.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Works Do you see what I mean about bypass? If level in/out is same height what keeps water from just flowing over 3? Width of smaller containers fit snug against sides of main container? Perhaps it doesn't matter since 3 is more of a fuge area. Certainly worth trying since you can change it all around so easily with your plan. Integrating baffle style of link above between compartments would be a sweet sump I think.

I hope someone more experienced answers.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 04-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Works Do you see what I mean about bypass? If level in/out is same height what keeps water from just flowing over 3? Width of smaller containers fit snug against sides of main container? Perhaps it doesn't matter since 3 is more of a fuge area. Certainly worth trying since you can change it all around so easily with your plan. Integrating baffle style of link above between compartments would be a sweet sump I think.

I hope someone more experienced answers.
I guess I'm thinking that the 2nd and 3rd chambers are typically below the normal water line - even with evaporation - so water would naturally flow in/out of these as it moves in the overall sump - but to a minimal degree. I don't think water would be stationary in one container, but then again a problem with this is that there is no controlled flow of water through the sump - much of it can go past the fuge area to the pump back to the aquarium which is probably not good...but then again if I have a T on a typical sump, one to the fuge end the other to another end I'm basically trying to whittle down on the flow to the fuge so as not to kick up any of the sand in it...

After all of this I'm thinking of using a used 29g as a sump, and just using some pretty basic designs I've seen elsewhere.

Tags
diy, diy sump, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com