DIY Sump Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I'm looking for a quick route to a diy sump, I have a 75gal African Cichlid tank, has about 20 fish in it.. All bout an 1 1/2 inch now.. & I know my biowheel 330 won't be able to handle the bio load when they get older. I would love to make my own sump as it seems the easiest cheapest route.. if anyone has any help or advice I'd greatly appreciate it! thanks.

Is your tank drilled or will you be using a HOB overflow?

It is pretty easy to put a sump together with a glass aquarium and some plexiglass panels and silicon from home depot or lowes. It took me an evening to put mine together for my reef tank.

Are you thinking about doing a wet/dry setup, or just adding some biomedia and some mechanical filtration on the inflow (i.e. a filter sock?). Are you thinking about doing some kind of FW refugium?

I think it is a good idea for a cichlid tank - though you might also just consider adding a canister filter - it would give you similar results.

fort384 said:
Is your tank drilled or will you be using a HOB overflow?

It is pretty easy to put a sump together with a glass aquarium and some plexiglass panels and silicon from home depot or lowes. It took me an evening to put mine together for my reef tank.

Are you thinking about doing a wet/dry setup, or just adding some biomedia and some mechanical filtration on the inflow (i.e. a filter sock?). Are you thinking about doing some kind of FW refugium?

I think it is a good idea for a cichlid tank - though you might also just consider adding a canister filter - it would give you similar results.

My tank is not drilled, & I don't wanna drill it.. I'd probably screw it up.. I was thinkin just doing a syphon box.. Into the sump.. I have a 20g long tank.. Idk what wet/dry means.. I was thinkin of doing a refugium, with some fast growing live plants to help with Nitrates.. Well Canisters are pretty expensive, & I've heard that a sump is like a big canister.. If you do it right.. & I've got a tank & silicone(from where I had to reseal the 75 gal) so im halfway there.. Just need like PVC pipe & plexiglass..

Kingcichlid87 said:
yeah that looks like a good plan. keep me upto date with the project on how it goes .. ill be following you

Okay, it will be a while before i start, I still wanna do some more research & I need a little more money.. So that & i gotta get the correct measurements of the inside the 20 long. What size PVC Pipe do you recommend?

Kingcichlid87 said:
erm. i use 3/4 inch pvc pipe should be fine ..

Thanks.. I'm still looking into it.. & it kind of did.. Mine is going to be looking pretty different compared to that video..

fishfool58 said:
Thanks.. I'm still looking into it.. & it kind of did.. Mine is going to be looking pretty different compared to that video..

Update, for anyone still following this, I have decided to not use a syphon box.. Heard of too many stories where it broke syphon & the main tank flooded.. Since my 75 has leaked before & seeing the pain in the butt it was.. I've decided not to go that route.. Instead I'm debating 2 things... Buck up & buy a canister or another HOB filter.. Or figure out if my tank is drillable.. If so I will possibly settling for an overflow.. :) Tuesday I will find out if my tank is tempered.. If it's made of old glass I will be putting my sump together.. :)

Have you considered building a DIY Overflow system it would save you from having to drill your tank, and has the added benefit of not having to worry about it siphoning your tank since it will only remove a pre set amount of water based on the height of the intake tube. Total cost should be around 20$ + or - I'm considering this for my tank as the way to go since money is tight.

HOW TO: DIY Overflow - YouTube

Evilgrin said:
Have you considered building a DIY Overflow system it would save you from having to drill your tank, and has the added benefit of not having to worry about it siphoning your tank since it will only remove a pre set amount of water based on the height of the intake tube. Total cost should be around 20$ + or - I'm considering this for my tank as the way to go since money is tight.

HOW TO: DIY Overflow - YouTube

I actually picked up a tank 72G bowfront that is already drilled.. Came with sump return pump, trays, stand, canopy.. Pretty much everything except lights, heater & media.. But when I get everything I need for that one.. & get it cycled, & figure out what im doing with my current tank, I'll be moving my fish in it, & hopefully making another Cichlid tank of some sort.. But I'll have to decide on filtration.. Since I was given a frontosa, I thought about looking into getting a second one, & making it a breeding tank But I know they get huge, & not 100% sure if thats even possible..

Back
Top Bottom