DIY Sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey gang...I am wanting to build my own sump and have been reading about some people going with other tanks vs plastic containers....rubbermaid. Can anyone tell me what they did in particular when doing either of these?? Im having a hard time getting a mental pic of what one puts together and where when doing either of these 2?? I think I would like to do another small tank and go from there. Any pics would be great!!.
Thanks

hey, i made mine out of a 20 gallon tank. i ended up paying like a hundred for my overflow box and a hundred for my pump. then i just got some plastic tubing from home depot to run from my overflow to the sump and used pvc to make my return from the pump back into the tank. i went to a glass store and had some glass baffles cut for me out of 1/4 inch glass and used aquarium sealant to put them in. i will put some pictures of later if you like but i have run right now. its a fairly simple thing to make, probably could do it cheaper than i did but mine works well. good luck

also, the reason i went with the tank over a plastic tub is because it is harder to put bubble baffles in a plastic container and i wanted to make sure i didn't have any micro bubbles in the main tank. hth

Yes I would really like to see pics of this. If you can take about 2-3 from different angels so I can see what you did.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom