Diy tank AND sump!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I won't be using a saw or anything so I'm okay there. Should I just do 1/4" then? To make sure theres no leaks, I could do the weldon first, then put silicone on top? I just checked with my lfs, theres no way I'm paying that much lol. It was 250$

1/4 would work I just suggest 3/8 because acrylic is prone to bowing so there isn't any harm in going one size up

The 1/4" will bow even with the baffles. Go thicker if you can. The silicone won't bond to acrylic so don't bother. You just need clean straight edges and Weldon.

Ya that's why I Said go with a already made tank lol... You should be able to find a sheet at home depot or lowes that'll do the whole project

Oh so that's for the whole tank? I went online and put in my measurements and the bottom panel of my tank was that much alone. it would be the same as having someone do a tank for me at 120$ lol.

Find out all the measurements and what size sheet you would need then by a whole sheet and have it cut down

Let me know how you do, and where you get your acrylic. I'm going to build a tank, but i pretty much decided to go with glass. This will be my first tank to build too, so tell me how easy it is to glue!

Alright will do! I went to home depot today and they didnt have Weldon. They did have the 3/8" acrylic though.

Found out that I could fit a sump sideways through the hole in the back. I felt pretty stupid lol. Ill be buying some acrylic for the baffles next month hopefully.

im going to buy a 20 long from a guy near me. he is giving me a great deal. 1 stick of epoxy, the glass panels cut and polished by a glass shop, 2 tubs of carbon, media chambers, phosban media, silicone, and the tank itself for 50$. i wont need much more, just a sump pump, which will be a mag 5, and some flexible tubing. everything else is setup.

i just bought the 20 long and im putting in 2 of the 3 baffles. my skimmer will be next to the intake and then my refugium. after that will be a bubble trap with the pump going up at the end.

And you are putting a 20 long under it? That's awesome almost double the water volume

Back
Top Bottom