Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

DIY Tank Building Question

Hi all.. I was wondering.. I can not bring a larger tank into my apartment larger than my 75 as it just would not fit in the doorway (I have narrow doorways). I see the directions on how to build my own tank.. which I could do up here.. My question is... Where would someone get the acrylic material to build a tank like that? and how thick would it need to be ?
We have a Menards and a Home Depot in my city.. would they be there?
What is the technical name of the acrylic material I would need to use? Thanks for your help people!

Old 05-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Only thing I would do is caution you that bilding something larger than the door opening will basicly mean when/if you move you must leave it.

Most 90gals have the same footprint as a 75. In addition you should be able to find a 125 gal tank thats simply longer than the 75 that would fit in the door.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually.. no on the 125 gallon idea... There is a VERY sharp turn immediatley before my door... When we moved my bed in, we has to cut the boxspring in 1/2 (it was only a queen size). I figured o nthe leaving it part though.. lol thanks for tyhe input though
Old 05-17-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Im thinking a glass aquarium can be put together with silicone, if you had to leave you could remove the silicone and take it apart.. this is assuming your building it.. this one is tough because your livestock.. im thinking it would be tough but possible.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about having the tank standing up on a piece of thick carpet that you drag indoor while someone maintains the tank balanced? You're only looking at about 18 to 20 inches on a side. Surely, the doorway/hallway must be at least 24 inches. No? Just a thought.

8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, building, diy, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com