DIY tank carrier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T Waters

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A simple lifting apparatus for carrying my 135 gallon tank.

Two pieces of plywood that fits on the tank ends in between the frame top/bottom. I used true 1/4" plywood (truly 1/4" thick). These have to be a tight fit onto the ends, fit in bewteen the top and bottom frame. I cut them about 1/64" tall and used a rasp on 2 ends of the the plywood (top and bottom) to make it fit.

4 2/3 pieces of lumber, 2 serve has handles the other 6 keep the straps from slipping. I used 28" handles, the other pieces 18" or 22" long.

A countersink drill bit to allow screw heads to be recessed in the plywood so they will not scratch the glass.

Some flathead screws to hold the 8 pieces of lumber, 10 screws in the two handles (28") , 5 in each of the other 6 pieces. Phillips or hex head so you can put lots of torque on them, not slotted head. I used #10, 1-1/2" long.

two ratcheting 1" straps (the endless loop kind), 16 feet long (obviously it takes 15 feet to barely fit around a 6 foot, by 18" deep tank).(12'+3' = 15)

notes: an 'endless loop' strap is not a loop until you pass one end of the strap thru the spindle of the ratchet. So you do not have to have enough strap to loop over the ends of the handles. It is just one long strap at that point, so just wraps around the tank thru the two 2x3 channels.

The countersink: I used is a Hansen 5 flutes 82 degrees. This will provide countersink clearance for about a #6 up to a 5/16 screw. Inexpensive/cheap, all hardware stores.

The 'rasp' used was a "Betty Croker cheese grater", which does what a rasp does only it is easier to grasp and faster to use, and costs about $2.

It takes fewer persons to move a 255 pound tank. Two people, not to strong can easily move it around the house.

Attachments

• straps around tank .jpg
    straps around tank .jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 122
  • ends.jpg
    ends.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 115
  • countersink bit.jpg
    countersink bit.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 123
  • strap.jpg
    strap.jpg