DIY tank decor and misc questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freakinfishgeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw a tank online that was decorated with stones and artificial flowers. How can I ensure their saftey before I add them to the tank? I read somewhere that I should coat the stems with aquarium sealent. But since I don't have a LFS where can I get that stuff? I am also restoring an older 55 gallon tank. It has wood trim that is brown and in bad shape since it isn't it the water does it matter what paint I use?

Also my house is about 6 years old and my bedroom where I keep the tanks is upstairs. With a 55 gallon tank should I be worried about weight? I have an old wood dressor I am refurbishing to use as a stand and storage. IS that safe or do I need an acctual aquarium stand?

Any other suggestions to make my tank extra special?? I want to to be unique and maybe a bit eccentric.

Just remember that water weighs 8lbs a gallon. A 55 gallon tank will weigh somewhere around 500 lbs or more depending on the stand and filters. If youre using a wood dresser, just make sure you have plenty of support in there to hold that weight, and the weight will only be on the outside 1/2" of the tank all the way around. For paint, krylon fusion is the best paint to use and not have to worry about it leaching anything in the water. Not sure on the plants as i either have no plants or live plants in my tanks.

The weight is important when upstairs. Check for level. This will help keep tank from leaking. The old dresser, as rookie said, needs to be sturdy. You might need to reinforce it some. I am the same way with plants. Live or nothing. Live plants dont take much more work and you get to look at them too. As far as eccentric, look around for antiques that have an opening similar to the tank. Like a TV box, or a ship port hole. Old car parts would be cool for me but I don't know what you like. But I like the thinking.

as every one has said it needs to be sturdy and level and as far as the artificial flowers i just clean good with hot water i have not had any problems in my tanks this way just make sure thay are plastic steems

My gut instinct would be a no-go on the plastic flowers in the tank. If you've ever noticed that bottled water has an expiration date, it's because the plastic actually degrades and releases particles in the water. Most plastic aquarium plants are engineered to be submersed and are manufactured accordingly. Unless the plastic flowers were designed for underwater use I would be afraid that they would degrade after a while as well.

been in tank for over a year have not had any prob still look fine

best way to be sure is to try and locate it along a wall, not sticking out into the room. i have 2 doing that but i had to add supports in the garage to support it. along the wall is the strongest point. if you can see under the floor, basement or something, see if can see which way the floor joists go and position the tank so it is perpendicular to them, ie, spanning a couple of them, that way, the load is spread across a couple joists, instead of just one supporting it. usually along a loadbearing wall is best bet, since usually it will have heavy joists under it. or outside wall, just not by a window, else get algae problems.
as for stand. just need to make sure the outside pieces are strong enough to support the weight. if it a solid wood dresser, should be ok, if it is a cheaper, MDF or particle board dresser, i would be careful, as they usualy not very good for loads and may collapse as well as swell when get wet. always can add 2x4s inside it.

Back
Top Bottom