DIY tank hold/stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Me and my brother want to attempt to build a stand or a tank holder to hold 3 10G tanks with other shelves to hold food etc. what kind of wood should we use?? It's going to look a little like this:

Attachments

• image-1162677884.jpg
    image-1162677884.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 114
I built one and I just used pine 2x4s Ans plywood your tanks aren't going to weigh much so that will be fine

I am building one now to hold 4 20 gallon tanks and I am using 2x4 and plywood for my shelves.
I will post pics when it is done.

I would recommend 2x4s and plywood also. Be sure to cover the wood with some type of sealant. I've used stain and polyurethane before, and I've used Rustoleum's gloss black with no issues.

One thing you may want to do is leave room to expand. Fishkeepers have a tendency to want the next big thing in a couple months. Maybe make it so you can swap out the 3 10's with 3 20H's. Just be sure to leave enough room to do maintenance.

You could probably get away with 1/2" plywood too but I would go with 3/4" just to be safe and keep everything sturdy.

meegosh said:
I would recommend 2x4s and plywood also. Be sure to cover the wood with some type of sealant. I've used stain and polyurethane before, and I've used Rustoleum's gloss black with no issues.

One thing you may want to do is leave room to expand. Fishkeepers have a tendency to want the next big thing in a couple months. Maybe make it so you can swap out the 3 10's with 3 20H's. Just be sure to leave enough room to do maintenance.

You could probably get away with 1/2" plywood too but I would go with 3/4" just to be safe and keep everything sturdy.

Great thanks for all the help and info!! This weekend I hope we can go out and get the wood!!! :D also will get sealant! I should leave a little room for other tanks it would be my "fry shelf". Going to be great though excited

Back
Top Bottom