Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
DIY Tank Instructions

Are you an avid DIYer? If so then maybe you consitered building your own tank once. Maybe you put the idea in the back of your head but never moved forward.

Well, I was chatting with Bassoonguy this AM and he told me about some NEW Garf instructions on a DIY tank so I wanted to share that page with everyone here.

Its a nice interface. You enter the measurments your looking to do and specify if you want it to be acrylic, glass or plywood and acrylic or plywood and glass and then click submit. What you get is a great list of materials along with a cut list so you know exactly what size to cut what items.

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to angelstiger
hmmmmmmm,
Maybe I could build that large tank, that us addicts dream about? Gotta check that sight out. Thanks, Fishsfreak.

55 gal. livebearers, 55 gal. oscar, 29 gal. tetras, 29 gal. angels, 29 gal. female bettas, 20 gal. barbs, 20 gal. guppies, 10 gal. fry, 10 gal. grow out, 10 gal. quaretine, 10 gal. feeder, (16) 1 gal. male betta
Yeah i'm getting too many aquariums. Maybe I'll stop setting them up after I get a 125 or 180 or 300 gallon...... Sure I will. hahahaha
angelstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:41 PM   #3

That site is downright DANGEROUS!!! I better stay outta there before I build some monstrosity!
Old 04-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to angelstiger
Wow, I love that site. Maybe it should appear on the home page? Thanks fishfreek. Of course I agree with corvuscorax this could be really dangerous for some of us. You could be destining some of us to living in the middle of what looks to be a LFS. Oops, too late I already do. hahahahaha
55 gal. livebearers, 55 gal. oscar, 29 gal. tetras, 29 gal. angels, 29 gal. female bettas, 20 gal. barbs, 20 gal. guppies, 10 gal. fry, 10 gal. grow out, 10 gal. quaretine, 10 gal. feeder, (16) 1 gal. male betta
Yeah i'm getting too many aquariums. Maybe I'll stop setting them up after I get a 125 or 180 or 300 gallon...... Sure I will. hahahaha
angelstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:30 PM   #5

It is cool however, watch out, in some situations, it is cheaper buying prefab tanks. The materials are quite expensive.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
Yea but buying prefab takes all the fun out of it!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to HOLLIEO Send a message via Yahoo to HOLLIEO
Quote:
Are you an avid DIYer? If so then maybe you consitered building your own tank once. Maybe you put the idea in the back of your head but never moved forward.
It is really funny. I am always into the DIY projects. My husband has already banned me from projects around the house, but I am able to sneak a few in here and there. I was totally thinking about building one myself. Thanks for posting this. I saved this site. Has anyone built one themselves? If you have... how did it come out. Do you reccomend it? :P
Old 07-10-2003, 05:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Man I have been thinking about doing this for a while... I need a bigger tank for my two baby oscars that are nicely housed in a 45 gallon, but I know it won't keep them for long. A friend of mine, way insane about aquariums (and I though I was nuts about it) almost had a caniption when he found out that my dad bases his business around acrylics and that he offers scraps all the time, or even to make a tank for me. But heck... once I get moved in to my new aparment... I think a new tank should be in order! Now the question is what size should I make the thing to make the little ones happy?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to enpharedskin Send a message via Yahoo to enpharedskin
Garf's DIY Tank Instructions

Hi! I plan to make a reef tank of PLYWOOD and GLASS myself using Garf's handy instructions. ( Im so excited!!~!) I was wondering though....are there any rules to the dimensions of the tank? I was planning to make a tank 33x28x24 (INCHES)....33 being the face from left to right, 28 being the side from front to back, and 24 being the height from top to bottom...it would be about a 90-95 Gallon tank and I will be using 3/8" thick GLASS for the front. Would there be any problems with this? I would apreciate any and all input you can give me before I begin...even info that is not pertaining to the dimensions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:24 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
IF this is to be a reef tank, and you say it will, then the height (top to bottom) would be one of the biggest factors when it comes to lighting the tank. THe taller the tank the more light you need over it. Other than that I guess its mostly athetics.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com