DIY tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a homemade hexagonal fish tank my parents handed down to me it hasn't been used in probably 7 years so I'm not sure if it has any leaks. I have to dig it out of storage and fill it up. My question is what kind of caulking should I use I know there's specific type for fish tanks but it's so expensive! Also it doesn't have a lid what could I use, how would you recommend I set up a light? It's 24.5 high what filter would you recommend (if I'm not in the right category lemme know) Thanks :)

Tank : 24.5h x (5 panels) 11"w x 21d

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can you RTV108 or GE Silicon 1 to seal the tank. There's another silicone that's made for aquariums that was only like $8-10 but I don't remember the name, I saw it here or fishlore.

You could buy a glass or plexi lid that is remade or you could try to make one. You also might be able to find a screen lid for it.

You should be able to use a normal aquarium light that sits on top or use a shop light from hardware store with t5 or t8 lights.

I think that would be about 15-20 gallons...? If so an Aquaclear 30 would probably be sufficient.

Thanks so much for the help :) can't wait to get started. One website said my tank is 33 gallons it's pretty big and weighs a ton

If it's a 33 gal might want to move up to an aquaclear 50. Also make sure you read silicone reseal diys. Make sure you get all the old silicone off and run a continuous bead with the new.

Just wanted to edit this post and say that I'm an idiot. I pulled the tank out of storage and it has 6 sides haha. Glad I learned how to count hah 1442267522760.jpg

Back
Top Bottom