Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
DIY Tank stand stain/sealant

Howdy again..

I began work on my tank stand this weekend. Though I have a question regarding protecting the wood.

The stand is constructed of primarily Oak, 1by's and veneered 3/4" plywood. I intend to stain it with an oil based stain (Red Mahogany by Olympic). Any recommendations on how to top coat it? Or should it be necessary with an oil based stain?

My first thought was to poly coat it, however I'm not a big fan of the often glossy finish it leaves. I know it can be buffed down, however is it really necessary to top it? While a leak is a disaster, I'm looking more to protect the wood from blemishs and damage due to the inherent spill and spatter from working on the tank.

Is it necessary? Overkill? What would/have you done?

72G AGA Bowfront - DIY Oak Stand
- 300W Jager Heater
- Emperor 400 - 40lbs Eco-Complete
- 1 Rainbow Sharks, 2 Marbled Angelfish
- 1 Gold Nugget Pleco
- 5 Red Wag Platys, 2 Gouramies (1xBlue, 1xGold)
- Jebo 110W/220W PC illumination
- Lightly planted(experimenting)
Toker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have always used poly to seal the wood. Cant you get poly in a flat finish? Or is that still to glossy for your tastes?

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Stains (even oil based) are not really that water proof & wear quickely when exposed to water & the elements (my outdoor stuff is only good for 2-3 months).

I used 3 coats of poly for my stand. Flat poly is pretty dull, but still looks a bit platicky. If you are into the natural look, I suggest sealing all the inside & hidden parts with poly. This area is what you want to protect anyway - water outside will dry pretty quick, but water in hidden area may soak in & losen your joints or rot the wood.

For the outside, try Danish oil (I use Watco Danish finish). It keeps the natural feel of the wood & is fairly water proof. Only problem is that it will wear over time & you need to redo it every few years. I've also use water based poly (Behr), not nearly as plasticky as oil based poly, esp. after lightly sanding with fine sandpaper. But you'll need to use water based stain with it.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, seal, stain, stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com