DIY undergravel cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I recently obtained some free pvc pipe so Im making the underground cave for my dwarf crayfish! I need to know what kind of silicone is aquarium safe though. Anybody know? Im using it to glue sand to the pipe and create a tight seal against the glass.
Thankls in advance and God bless!

There is aquarium safe silicone you can buy at your LFS or from any hardware store you can get GE II silicone just make sure it doesn't have anything in it that kills mold or mildew.

Well I got an off brand but it said it was aquarium safe (fingers crossed. Will try and post pics later.

Both GE I and GE II are made with and without fungi and mildew control. Either are safe provided you get the tubes that do not have those additives. So long as the tube said aquarium safe you should be fine.

Yep hopefully it will work right. Had a problem with the silicone sticking to everything but the tube but I got a thin layer to stick that looks perfect. Decided against glueing sand to it though because I heard it can cause major algae problems.

what do you need the silicone for. i believe that pvc cement is perfectly safe once it dries.

I used it to create a seal between the tank and the glass wall so I could see in without my sand caving it in. I set it up. Need pics lol My only worry is tat there is very little/no water exchange....

Im trying to come up with ideas for my brackish tank. Im trying to get bunch of BBGs. I may have to try something similar to this.

Sorry the pics took so long! Here it is!

Attachments

• 100_0539.jpg
    100_0539.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 100_0540.jpg
    100_0540.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 394
Thanks! Only problem is that moving anything in the sand near it causes sand to fall into it...

If too much sand gets in there use a hose when doing water changes and syphon it out

that is excellent really good i love it. attempting to repair an old tank of mine tomorrow i think im gonna try and put on of these in as i love shrimp and i think thed get a kick out of it

that is excellent really good i love it. attempting to repair an old tank of mine tomorrow i think im gonna try and put on of these in as i love shrimp and i think thed get a kick out of it
My RCS do seem to like it. But I would suggest you make it removable for easier cleaning and remodeling.

hey dude loved your idea so much i gave it a crack my self. this is just the plastic top you get of just about every spray canister. i have cleaned it vigerously with boiling water. i just cut a chunk of the bottom made a little cave entrance in the top. then i cleared away some of my gravel and put it in place close to the glass. easy removed for cleaning and my eel loves it thanks for the insperation

Attachments

• SAM_0376.jpg
    SAM_0376.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 240
Hey no prob glad someone liked it! That is one small eel!!!

Back
Top Bottom