DIY Water Change System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSD_Philly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted this over in my tank thread, but I thought it would be helpful to post here also.

For me, Water changes are by far the most annoying part of having a bigger tank. Since I rent, I am unable to set up any plumbing, so I had to make due.

Here is what I did:

Tonight I finally got my water change system set up. I went through a bunch of difference designs and, as usual: The simplest design seems to work the best.

So here it is, pictures tell it best I think.The general design is this: Water reservoir below the tank, window next to the tank. I have set up a system that allows water to be drained from the tank and out the window, then I turn the valves and turn on the pump and water fills the tank.

Here is the valve system I created:
PtvGqKg.jpg

It is probably unnecessary, but I think it is important to use plumbers tape on ALL the connections I used:
evPcZr6.jpg

Here is the reservoir on the out side and the inside view (I am still going to tweak this a bit, but it does work for now)
Outside:
asGTeky.jpg

Inside:
ZS7rkNw.jpg

Here is the tank input/output (again, I'll tweak this to make sure it only drains the correct amount, even if I forget to turn it off for a minute)
CEgfZAr.jpg

Here is the valve system set up (this will be mounted to the wall soon)
LPXce5g.jpg

Here is the output when draining tank (I had to add a pump to prime water for the draining)
IJl3B2t.jpg

Here is the switch to turn on the pump
5C6989j.jpg

Here is the tank when it was drained, right before I turned on the fill cycle.
eirgDv5.jpg

And lastly, here is Herman getting a treat for putting up with the construction around his tank for the last hour:
r6J7ld3.jpg

I have a hose outside the window that I will use to fill the reservoir and I have a heater and bubbler to help get the water up to the right temp. I use Prime to get the water ready for pumping in.

Hope this helps someone who is trying to get water changes to be a bit easier.

Looks very similar to what I was asking about. On your valve system, the single valve goes outside, then on the other side, one goes to the tank and one goes to the reservoir, correct?

Instead of the pump, reservoir, and ball primer, I was hoping to let the water pressure from my house plumbing supply both the new water to the tank, and when I open a waste valve that would send my fresh water straight to my drain, it would create suction for vacuuming and take the waste water straight into my drain pipe. Do you just use your tap to fill the reservoir?

Sorry, snowstorm took all my effort recently.

Yes, I have to just use the tap to fill the res.

Here is where I am at with it. I do one big water change/week...usually when Katie is at class late night. I also fill the res then and I do a second partial water change later in the week.

My oscar is loving the water, its actually surprising. Tonight he actually came up and ate food from my hand. I gave him a cricket treat and he came up to the top and ate it out of my hand!

He is so much happier, I am officially a big fan of big h2o changes.

Back
Top Bottom