DIY wavebox?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been doing some research on wavemaker/wavebox, as everyone knows that they are $$$$, so I was looking around the DIY project.

the diy wavebox looks good while I have some extra pump, but!!
but... keep turning on and off the pump doesn't sound like a good way to treat it, is there anyway that I don't have to turn the pump on and off.

I am thinking to have a pump suck water into a seperated box and release it about every 2~5 sec, but with my limited knowlegde, I have no idea how can I do this.

something auto on/off one side of the box to release the water.
instead of on/off the pump.

is that doable??
and I would love some advice and suggestion on how should I do this.

I think you can make a "surge" device with the use of a siphon. Something like a container above the tank that fills up to a certain point and then a siphon releases it all into the tank.

I think you can make a "surge" device with the use of a siphon. Something like a container above the tank that fills up to a certain point and then a siphon releases it all into the tank.

the surge sevice is great but don't think it will fit my tank right now, but thanks for the info ^^

So your looking for an internal device? If you don't mind spending a little money, I think you can hook up a power head to a cheap wave timer and have it push water into the box then turn off and let it out.

So your looking for an internal device? If you don't mind spending a little money, I think you can hook up a power head to a cheap wave timer and have it push water into the box then turn off and let it out.

I have couple extra powerhead, just that keep turning on and off will burn the powerhead, right?

Nah, if I understand correctly any power head can be plugged into a wave maker and it will work fine. However I understand the start up "chatter" can get annoying, (since it turns on and off)

Not just any powerhead can be plugged into a wavemaker. Most maxi jets are fine with the majority of WM but korallias are finicky and will make an terrible noise when being turned on repeatedly throughout the day. They will eventually fail. Korallia makes powerheads that are for THEIR wavemaker I know. I am not sure however if they work with other wavemakers. Maxi jets seem to be the all round PH of choice for this situation.

I gave up on the wavebox and wave maker, instead
I use my return line and my hydra2 powerhead to create a small wave.
still adjusting and will see how it goes tmr.

I use a Wavemaster Pro and some Koralia2 PH's. To cut down on startup slap and chatter I cut a piece of air tubing 1/16th of an inch shorter then the distants from the front of the casing to the propeller and slipped it on the shaft. This toally corrects the slap and noise problem with the Koralia pumps. The setup has been going since May of this year with no problems or pump failures. The Koralias are now very quite.

Switching Current Water Director

I use a Wavemaster Pro and some Koralia2 PH's. To cut down on startup slap and chatter I cut a piece of air tubing 1/16th of an inch shorter then the distants from the front of the casing to the propeller and slipped it on the shaft. This toally corrects the slap and noise problem with the Koralia pumps. The setup has been going since May of this year with no problems or pump failures. The Koralias are now very quite.

I found my Koralia 3's would startup back wards about 30% of the time when on a wave maker. I use a "SCWD" Switching Current Water Director on my system. It uses some of the pumps energy to switch between two outputs.

Back
Top Bottom